Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Horse sense
Old 03-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Horse sense

This is not what you're probably thinking. It's about one of the most intelligent horses I ever met. One of my uncles took grandpa to the "trading grounds' in Middlesboro, Ky one Saturday back around 1943 looking for a good work horse. A lot of trading, selling & horse swapping took place out on the grounds away from the auction. This was finally abolished because the auction was losing money. Someone from Lexington brought several race horses in that weren't up to par on the track. While unloading them grandpa spotted a beautiful young stallion. While looking him over the horse took to grandpa like a puppy. Grandpa wasn't impressed with race horses but this one was young & stout looking. Somewhat reluctantly, he bought the nag. Looking at his papers it said his name was Black Scott. To grandpa it was just Scott. He was a powerful built horse for a race horse. .......After bringing him home a lot was discovered about him. He was obviously extremely intelligent & a people horse. He followed grandpa around like the old border collie. Had to watch everything grandpa did like an 8 year old boy. Saddling & riding him was no problem at all. In a saddle gait he rode like a limousine. Absolutely great. We ciphered a harness would be an entirely different matter. When grandpa harnessed him up he turned his head & looked at it like he was wondering what kind of saddle it was. My uncle hooked him to a little hillside turning plow in a small lot by the barn. Scott looked back at the contraption behind him. Uncle Doug tole him to move & he started fine but the plow digging in staggered him. Again he looked back at the plow as uncle Doug told him to move. He leaned into the collar & didn't stop till he bumped into the fence at the end of the lot. Uncle turned him & flipped the moldboard. The sucker followed the furrow back like he had been doing it all his life. Everyone watching just stood & looked at each other. Nobody could say a word. The horse was a natural. It was absolutely amazing. All grandpa could do was smile. A 3 year old stallion, never in a harness & working like a pro. I don't remember how long grandpa kept him but at least 8 years. ........From then on if grandpa was out where the horse could get to him you would see an old white haired man , a big black stallion & a border collie together. They were inseparable. ......I'll tell you more later after I rest my eyes. ......Paul H ......Well, I don't know what's going on with my pictures .