Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Flowers On My Deck
Old 07-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Flowers On My Deck

I'll start with the poppies, as I like poppies and this is the first year I have tried to grow them. These plants are from seeds collected from a plant that my daughter found growing wild alonside the road to our house. I waited for the plant to ripen, collected the seeds, and stored them in a small vial. That was two years ago.

This spring I decided to try to germinate some of those seeds. If they germinated, I would plant them 'with abandon' around my property. Not only did they germinate, they grew with enthusiasm!

The following is a sequence in time of their blossoming to date. This first picture is just prior to the first blossom coming out.

Here is that first blossom:

Here is the plant on the day after the first blossom came out. ("Day two".) The first blossom is not on the tallest on the plants, rather it is the one nearest the camera.

I thought I got a picture of the plant on the second day after the first blossom (Day three), but apparently I just thought about taking the picture instead of actually taking it. Here is the plant on day four.

As you can see, they are producing a flower per day.

Since the flowers were produced one per day, today on 'day four', I can take a sequence that shows the progression of development of the flower from first day of flowering through the fourth.

Notice the development of the seed head on a daily basis. There is significant change with every passing 24 hours.

The next batch of flowers aren't particularly 'sequential', as the other species aren't as predictable as the poppies have been.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 07-28-2018 at 07:04 PM..