Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

The Sap Is Flowing So The Beer Is Brewing!
Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default The Sap Is Flowing So The Beer Is Brewing!

So the masochist with the short memory for pain decided I should make another batch of birch beer. The first batch I made was the best 'beer' I've ever had, commercial or Homebrew. That said, it takes A LOT of sap to make 5 gallons of beer. To give you some idea, it takes 50 gallons of maple sap to make one gallon of maple syrup. It takes 100 gallons of birch sap to make one gallon of birch syrup. Fortunately, I'm not making syrup! But... It still takes about 50 gallons of birch sap to make wort with the specific gravity to make 5 gallons of good beer. I need to boil the sap down to the point where the specific gravity is about 1.140. With pure water being 1.000. When I checked the sap this morning with my hygrometer I couldn't get a measurement different than pure water.

I tapped 7 trees yesterday afternoon. Four with gallon jugs and three with half-gallon jugs. This morning I had the three-and-a-half gallons you see in the picture.

If history repeats itself, I should get about a gallon per tree per day. (A little less from some, a little more from others.) At that rate, it should take me about a week to get the 50 gallons I want.

I started the boil today. It will continue essentially non-stop for the full week. Hence the 'masochist' comment. If I get REALLY ambitious AND the trees don't leaf out too soon, (can't use the sap once the trees start to leaf out), I may make some syrup.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 04-23-2020 at 05:31 PM..