Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Around the house lately
Old 05-18-2020, 05:30 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Around the house lately

I haven't been able to download pictures from my camera this month because windows 10 made changes in my puter & I can't see good enough to sort things out even if I knew how to do it. The tiny neighbor lady next door got me back in business Saturday.. She said they did the same thing to her. Windows 10, Microsoft & Google all suck. That's my most delicate description of all of them.

Anyhow, I've been trying to do a bit of gardening in spite of all the dratted rain. The bew 4 foot tiller I bought last spring hasn't even been used yet, It's still sitting on a skid out back. I discovered it's too heavy for the little Kubota tractor. ( anyone wanna buy a tiller?) ......I found another 4 foot tiller a week ago that is much lighter & fits up to the Kubota like it was made for it. It weighs 375 pounds compared to the other one that weighs 600 pounds. The ground was a bit wet but I tilled the garden in 30 minutes. That's 25 x 23 yards. It used to take me all day using the Troy Bilt tiller. A few days later I tilled all of it again in 20 minutes. Looks really good & the ground is chewed up soft & smooth. I'm just getting too old & bummed up to use a tiller any more.

I still have the old 318 JD tractor. It has a sleeve hitch for various gardening implements but it's too light for much gardening chores. I bought part of an old horse drawn cultivator plow at the local flea market. All the wood parts had rotted away & I made a new beam from heavy wall square 2x2 steel tubing & a hitch for the sleeve hitch. I also bought a plow point for laying off rows for 2 dollars. I removed the narrow cultivator point from the center and attached the furrow point. Turned the 2 outside points upside down & now I can lay off a 25 yard row in less than 30 seconds. Used to take around 6 or 8 minutes using a garden hoe.

We have 4 dozen tomato plants out & 18 pepper & 12 cabbage plants in the ground now. Next will be zuchinni, beans & corn & that'll most likely be our garden this year. The little lady next door wants to put out some tomatoes & she can use the rest of the garden for whatever she wants. Good kid & super nice. No wonder I love the little punk. .......Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherokee model TC-050 tiller.jpg (188.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4411.JPG (194.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4412.JPG (138.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4417.JPG (171.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4418.JPG (192.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4419.JPG (184.0 KB, 5 views)