Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

An Odd Little Bull Moose
Old 05-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default An Odd Little Bull Moose

Yesterday morning, my youngest called down that "There's a moose in the front yard". So we all traipsed over to the windows for a look. When I located it, it just didn't 'look right'. Couldn't put my finger on it, and it wasn't a 'big' deal, but I decided to go get some pictures.

It was obvious that it was not this year's young as it was way too big to have been born within the last two weeks. By the same token, it was very small to be a yearling. He stood around long enough for me to get some good pictures, then mosied off.

When I downloaded the pictures to the computer, I began to see some 'strange' things. Besides his small size, his antler nubs were awfully small for this late in the year. Also, he was uniformly colored. Most moose, especially bulls, are at least "two-tone" - having a dark back and light legs. He was uniformly brown, and not shiney brown, but dull, "mousey" brown. Finally; no visible testicles. And by this time - a year old - the testicles should be visible. At first, I thought it might be a female with antlers, but after a "good look", no vulva either. Just a very odd little boy moose. Here are some photos to illustrate what I'm talking about.

First, just a general portrait:

Here's a little closer look at his head. Note uniform color from top to bottom, and small antler buttons.

Here's the 'rear view'. Note lack of testicles or vulva.

Here's a picture of an even youger bull - about 9 months old when picture was taken. Note coloration and general form.

Here's another 'portrait':

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 05-25-2008 at 08:05 PM..