Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

'Scoping the Steyr M-95
Old 11-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default 'Scoping the Steyr M-95

I got word that the caribou were in the “right” place, so I’m headed out Monday morning. While I was trying to choose which rifles to take, I kept coming back to the M-95 Steyr. I just like that 205-grain .330” bullet doing about 2400 f/s. I like the carbine too. Problem was, between the milsurp sights and my eyesight, the gun was not exactly a “caribou rifle”. I really needed a scope mounted on it. I will not however, ruin the “historical accuracy” of a milsurp just to accommodate my eyesight.

B-Square and a couple of others are making ‘scope adapters that fit on the rear sights of milsurps, replacing the rear leaf. As far as I know, they are currently only made for Mosin Nagants, a few Mauser variations and the Swiss K-31. No one I know of is making a “scout-type” adapter base for the M-95 though. The M-95 base is pretty ‘wimpy’ compared to the MN, Mauser or K-31, and I wasn’t sure if the M-95 base would even accommodate a ‘scout-type adapter. However, this rifle was never going to make it hunting with me if it didn’t get some better sights. A scout-type mount was the only option if the historical integrity of the rifle was to remain intact.

A couple of years back, I bought at auction a B-Square adapter supposedly for a MN of the M38 or M44 variety. It was very disappointing. I found Darrell’s Scout Mounts, and have never considered another B-Square. That left the B-Square collecting dust. After lots of ‘looking’ and some measuring, I thought I just might be able to modify the B-Square base to work on the M-95. The base would have to be narrowed by about 0.215”, a hole for the leaf retaining pin drilled, and a new hole for one of the setscrews would have to be drilled and tapped at 1/4x28. I would have preferred that the work be accomplished by a machinist, but, considering that today is Friday, there was no way that was going to happen by Monday early. If the M-95 was going with me after caribou, I’d have to “fix” it myself.

I have no metalworking machinery, but I do have a drill press and a bench grinder. I figured I could grind the sides of the base with the grinder. Drilling and tapping the holes was not a challenge. The aluminum of the adapter loaded the grinding wheel pretty fast, but I was able to get close enough to start hand filing in about 45 minutes. The hand fitting only took about 10 minutes. Drilling and tapping the holes took about the same. A little careful filing to get the alignment just right, and it was time to mount the ‘scope. The only LER ‘scope I have available was a pistol ‘scope, with emphasis on long eye relief. That’s why the ‘scope is so far forward as you will see in the pictures.

So configured, I’m sure the rifle is capable of being effective out to at least 300 yds. I won’t be shooting beyond 200, and unlikely farther than 150. I’ll take it to the range tomorrow and get it sighted in. For those with M-95s, this was an easy affair. If you want to ‘scope your rifle and still retain it historical accuracy, this is a reasonable solution.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scope2cs.jpg (54.1 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg Scope3cs.jpg (38.4 KB, 554 views)

Last edited by gitano; 10-02-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Tags
caribou, drill, m-95 steyr, mill, milsurp, range report, scope, scope base