Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Getting rid of unwanted trees permanently
Old 10-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Getting rid of unwanted trees permanently

Been trying to find a way to kill unwanted trees, roots & all. I cut them down but trees like black locust send up sprouts from the roots and keep spreading. I found the best solution is drilling a hole in the body of the offending tree at around a 45 degree angle downward around 4 or 5 inches deep & big enough to insert a short section of an old garden hose. This piece of hose only needs to be 3 or 4 inches long with one end cut at roughly 45 degrees. I force the square end into the hole & turn it with the 45 degree open end up so it's fairly level. The only reason for this is to make it easy to pour the hole full of Amine 2-4-D brush killer. This time of year the sap is going down & it sucks the brush killer to the roots. Kills everything including sprouts & roots. You may have to fill the tube & hole again later to be more effective. Especially on larger trees. I did this to a peach tree about 6 or 7 inches in diameter. Three days later the leaves were drooping & turning red. .......I used the battery powered drill & a 7/8 inch spade drill, inserted the piece of garden hose & filled with brush killer. Only took minutes. Trying it on mulberry, elm & redbud now. ......One could probably use diesel fuel, rock salt or a number of things to kill them but not like brush killer. ........Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4655.JPG (193.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4657.JPG (182.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4658.JPG (154.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4659.JPG (124.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4660.JPG (147.5 KB, 6 views)