Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

John Moses Browning
Old 10-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default John Moses Browning

John Moses Browning was in my opinion the greatest & most prolific gun inventor in history. Some may disagree with me but that's fine with me. Looking back over his designs & inventions a lot of them are just as popular today as they were back in his days. You have to take into consideration the material available back then & the methods of manufacture. His 1911 45 ACP was & still is one of the most popular pistols in history. It is also possibly the most copied gun in history in one form or another. Browning was born in 1855 in Ogden, Utah into a gun making family & designed & built his first gun at the age of 13 years. He received his first patent at the age of 24 & never stopped till the day he died in his shop of a heart attack. ......John also had a business head. He depended on Winchester for many years & Winchester depended on him. When John designed the Auto-5 shotgun he asked Winchester to pay him a lump sum plus a percentage of sales. Obviously hw knew he had a winner in the A5. Winchester refused & Browning went to Remington but while waiting to see the head honcho the man died in his office. Browning then went to FN in Belgium with his patent & they gave him what he wanted. Probably one of Winchester's biggest mistakes was turning down Browning's proposal. Browning also licensed Savage Arms to manufacture the A5. A few other makers have built the A5 & used a different model number. ......The most amazing thing I find about Browning was his diversity in firearm designs. I don't recollect him designing a bolt action but it's possible. There is bolt guns today with his name but I don't know if he designed them. ......Some might argue Eugene Stoner was more prolific in designing firearms but for the times & conditions, Stoner doesn't compare. Browning was a mechanical genius. You have to admire the man. He designed everything from simple single shots to gas operated machine guns & cannons & everything between. ......Paul H