gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSA Martini .22 LR

I used 5 different cartridges:

1) CCI "CB"
2) Aguila Sniper Subsonic (SSS)
3) Federal "Hi-Power" Hollow Point
4) Federal High Velocity Hollow Point
5) Unknown other than UMC Hollow Point

The first target shows the results of sighting it in - sort of. I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos, and I settled for "close". The first five shots were the Federal High Velocity rounds. The next five are CBs. That's three shots on the edge of the "10-ring" by the way.

Oh yeah, 25 yards, and the "10-ring" is 13/16ths inches in diameter.

Encouraged by the nice little 3-shot group of CBs, I decided to tough it out with the mosquitos and shoot a new target for groups.

In the next target, the group marked "CB" was actually WAY better. After the first two shots - the ones to the left in the group - one of the pins holding the target on the backstop came out and the target tilted a little. I didn't notice it 'til I went down to mark the shots. It tilted just about exactly how much those upper two holes are from the first two. The points of aim are noted for each group.

The SSSs did OK, but I think I saw some key-holing on at least one of the shots. Also, while most of the variation on these groups is "operator error", the vertical stringing in the SSSs is not due to me.

The horizontal stringing in the group at the Roe buck's front leg is due to me being unable to find a good point of aim (POA). I was trying the aim "in the middle" of the "edge" of the target. Not exactly an exact point, AND... the front sight is a circle, not a post.

The "FHP" group isn't bad, but I'm sure the variability is due to sight picture/POA. I was trying to aim at the lower right corner of the target.

The unmarked group is actually very good. One of the shots just cut the edge of the paper. The POA for the first shot - the one to the left and not in the circle - was again "the middle" of the "edge" of the paper. After the first shot, I found a good POA off paper, and that is what produced the circled 5-shot group.

After shooting each of the five kinds of ammo I had on hand, I was sure I could put together a good tight group with the CBs. The third target is my attempt to get a good sight picture and POA and shoot as small a group as I was capable of under the circumstances. The larger, colored, outer ring just fit inside the circle of the front sight. Using that as the POA, I shot the 5-shot group marked "5 CBs". Yes, those three holes are for 5 shots. I like to hit what I'm aiming at, so I put a mark low and right of the bull, and shot the second 5-shot group you see. Those four holes are five shots - one in the "9-ring", one high in the bull, and three in what looks like two holes touching.

I am quite pleased with this rifle. I am so encouraged by these groups, that I think I'll tape a 'scope on it and see what the rifle can do with a good sight picture and without the handicap of my aging eyes. I feel quite confident that it can put 5 (or more) shots in one ragged hole at 25 yds.

I s'pose I'll keep the .22 bbl on it...

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Re: BSA Martini .22 LR
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road

Really good for iron, Paul. Those circle front sights suck in my book. I love peep rear sights any more tho. I just bought another 22 to play with about an hour ago & it has a Williams rear & front hood with the circle in the hood. I'll post pictures in another thread. ..........I love the Martini SS actions. They have one of the quickest lock times anywhere. Not quiet as fast as a 511 Rem. or 219 Savage but close. Repairing & refinishing the stock is no big deal. Go for it and enjoy a really nice rifle. ..........Paul H

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Senior Family Member

kombi1976 is on a distinguished road

Told you it would shoot well, Paul.
Top little rifles they are.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Family Member

drinksgin (deceased) is on a distinguished road

For those who missed it, the wonderful 8x .357 max, the second most useless wildcat known to man, MAY be seen in an attachment to this post, I am not having much luck editing pictures lately.

No luck, still 30 k bits too big.
It is the .357 max, 1.6 " long, 1.3" body, .3" neck, 20' shoulder.
Only excuse to exist is to make a super cheap ss rifle with a 8mm turk barrel on an old .410 shotgun action and do it with a 7" chink lathe and some hand tools.
Woo Woo!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the second most useless wildcat known to man
HEY!!! I happen to like that wildcat.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Family Member

drinksgin (deceased) is on a distinguished road

Try again!
What a mess, I have no idea what I did, but it cut the pixels in 1/2 so it did post this time.
That is a 200gr gc cast bullet, [imagine that], intended use is middle sized and smaller varmints at 1200fps or so and later try some 100 to 120gr at 1800fps or so for longer range work.
This should be about like a .32-20 on steriods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8x .357 max 001.JPG (71.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by drinksgin (deceased); 06-07-2009 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road

Hi Gitano,

Well I missed this as I was MIA so to speak from THL but I'll jump in very late.

It's not a Centurion as the stippling upon the barrel is not there so it's a Model 12/15. The inserts for the P-H FS22 fore sight do crop up but be advised they are smaller than those for the Full Bore rifles. I got caught out and brought a load before finding out they didn't fit.

Now if that butt stock is worrying you then if you have not sorted it our by now I happen to have a complete matching stock set from a 12/15. it does not have the buttplate but you have that already and a fairly good one too. They often show the steel inner out the bottom ,toe, of the plate.

Tags
.22 caliber, bsa, martini, range report