Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

New Sights for the Martini
Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default New Sights for the Martini

Finally got the open sights I was wanting for the Martini. There's quite a bit more to do however. Both front and rear ramps need to be mounted, and while it 's not a great challenge, it's no mean feat either - at least for me.

I would like to have both the sights "color case hardened". I suspect that would require at least a 6-month wait, plus having to put up with the disgusting whining by the "colorist" about how they "can't assure the outcome", and "I don't know if it will work", and "the responsibility is yours if you choose to do this". (God forbid anyone should actually have to take responsibility for their work as a professional!) However, I happen to think that having those two elements accented would considerably improve the over-all look of the rifle.

The forearm in these photos is the quick-and-dirty piece I made so I could take the rifle hunting in Colorado last fall. I was planning to have the final piece be the full-length Mannlicher style that the Q&D piece is, but after seeing it all in one piece, I'm no longer sure. A shorter forearm, still with Schnabel endcap, might look "more correct". By "more correct", I dont' mean more historically correct, that's not possible considering the chambering and other accoutrement. Rather what I mean by "more correct" is "proportional", and appealing to the eye.

Also, the front ramp as you see it in these pictures is just ever-so-slightly slipped on to the muzzle. Therefore, the barrel looks about two inches longer than it actually is. I'm also considering shortening the bbl by about two inches from its current 26" to 24". I'm not particularly concerned about the ballistic effect, however small that might be. Again, this action would be taken to render the overall look of the rifle more proportional.

The butt is also in rough form. I've already substantially modified it from it's former garrishness. I'm going to shorten it by about 2", and remove the "checkering". The wood is a very nice piece of birdseye maple, and I am hesitant to replace it. Still, it's just a bit gaudy for my tastes. I haven't made up my mind on that yet. It will depend a great deal on what I decide to do about the forearm.

In all of this modifying, I am keeping in mind that shortening the barrel, shortening the forearm and shortening the butt, will ALL reduce the wieght of the rifle. These changes alone would up the percieved recoil. However, I'm also considering upping the muzzle velocity in hopes of improving precision. All tolled, that will certainly make practicing less pleasant.

Here are the "before" pictures.

Paul