Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: Reloading for 12.7x44R (CF) - Cast and Jacketed
Old 03-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reloading for 12.7x44R (CF) - Cast and Jacketed

Nels,

I gave up on shooting cast bullets without gas checks. Even though the Minie is "plain based", I intend to put a gas check backwards against it and on top of powder, using it like an "over-powder card"and HOPING that it 'scrapes lead' on its way out. (If I recall, you did some experimenting with "backwards" GCs, didn't you?)

At the moment, I have no information on velocities or anything else that relays ANY information based on actual shooting. Since I have the jacketed bullets, I am planning on using those for "high speed" - 1800 to 2100 f/s - and relegating the cast lead to less than 1600 f/s. Maybe down around 1400 f/s. I simply have not been able to get cast lead to NOT leave lead in the barrel at velocities above about 1400 f/s.

Jay Edwards turned me on to a cast bullet lube recipe of 50:50 ratio of rendered bear grease and beeswax. That's what I use. I have A LOT of rendered bear grease, so if you would like some, let me know. This recipe is now being sold at a site called October Country http://www.octobercountry.com/bumblin-bear-grease-4-oz/ . (I don't understand how they get away with this, as it is my understanding that it is a FEDERAL CRIME (like GO TO JAIL crime!) to SELL ANYTHING that comes from a bear.) Supposedly, this recipe is good for "cold climate use" as the bear grease prevents the lube from hardening in the cold. Also, I THINK it is used MOSTLY for lubing patches, but I use it on 'everything'.

Don Rinks (AKA Drinksgin) advocated for the "blue stuff". (I can't recall it's name at the moment.) It worked pretty good. But like I said, I couldn't find ANY lube that allowed me to shoot cast lead at over something around 1400 f/s without leaving serious lead in the barrel.

Finally, I readily admit that I did not spend an inordinate amount of time 'tuning' my bullets to my firearms' bores. I tried to get the bullet caliber to be ~0.001" bigger than the groove diameter of my guns, but if I couldn't, I DID NOT buy custom dies or custom sizers to accomplish that. I also didn't fiddle too much with velocity. I'm not interested in target shooting, and not too much in plinking. So if I couldn't get up above 1600 f/s (for a 500-grain bullet), I pretty much gave up and went to jacketed.

So you see, I'm not much 'to look at' when it comes to shooting cast lead. I do REALLY like patched round ball in muzzle loaders though!

THIS rolling block rifle is a little different in that the 'bar' is a little lower in terms of max range of delivered energy. (Maybe it is more towards what you have in some of your firearms that you shoot cast lead in.) I don't anticipate taking this rifle anywhere where I would have to shot at a range greater than about 150 yd. Therefore, I feel I can afford to lower the MV a little. Still, were I to take this rifle to say, "Rick's place", to shoot whitetails, more than likely I'd be using jacketed bullets.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill with wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc