Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Memory Lane
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Memory Lane

In an effort to keep from hijacking any threads on more important matters, I thought I'd start one here at the Campfire of "old" pictures. Doesn't have to be a picture of "you", but that'd be nice. Pictures of relatives are welcome. Pictures that have a gun or fishing rod in hand are great, but anything is fine...

Here's my first entry: I'm now 58 and I was 15 when the picture was taken, so it's more than 'half a lifetime'.

For those interested, the rifle is a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .270 Win. I bought it with money I earned bagging groceries (tips) and baby-sitting at 25-cents-an-hour. (Yeah some boys actually babysat 'back in the day'). If I remember correctly, the rifle cost me $187, but I could be 'off' on that figure. Even though the picture was taken in '66, I'm pretty sure it was a pre-64 Model. Hunterbug is a "pre-64 Win fascist", maybe he can tell from the picture.

This picture was taken in Bavaria, and I got the rifle at the Murnau Rod & Gun Club. That's why I think it was a pre-64. Most of the stuff available there was fairly old stock. I killed some critters in Germany with it, and maybe half a dozen moose. It is among the rifles that have shot the best among all I have owned, and I started my reloading 'career' loading for this rifle using the old Lee Loader. It was stolen from me some years later.

For all the potential "sentimental value" this rifle could have, it has surprisingly little. I wouldn't even work very hard to find it if I knew where it was. I can't explain that, but it is so. I think part of the lack of sentiment is that I have swung 180 degrees regarding the person who is single-handledly the reason the .270 Winchester round is as "famous" as it is: Jack O'Conner. As a youngster, I practically worshipped him. When I got older, I realized he was just another gunwriter (ptooey) whose integrity was for sale. Furthermore, I have read that he wasn't exactly the "poster boy" for good fathers. Since he was the primary reason I bought a .270 Winchester, when reality reared it's ugly head, it took a lot of the 'shine' off that rifle.

Hurry up and post, 'cause I've got more...

I know Alboy's got at least ONE, 'cause I've seen it. So does RecoilJunky, 'cause I've seen them too.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standing 270.JPG (84.1 KB, 123 views)
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

"I want to live in a country where the poor people are fat." Spoken by a "skin-and-bones" Indian beggar explaining why he wanted to live in America.

Last edited by gitano; 12-09-2009 at 12:16 PM..