Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > BLACKPOWDER/MUZZLELOADERS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

In Praise Of The Paper Case Sharps
Old 05-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Senior Family Member

Jay Edward (deceased) will become famous soon enoughJay Edward (deceased) will become famous soon enough
Default In Praise Of The Paper Case Sharps

This type of firearm can be really fun to work with. I picked it up in a trade just for the history and looks but soon fell in love with it's eccentricities.

It is, of course, a paper case Sharps. It is in .54 caliber and has a twist for a conical bullet. At first I had a great deal of difficulty finding the correct load but it soon worked out to be about 60-65 grains of 2f.

Out of curiosity I wanted to try a 'loose load' and round ball so I set about working up a method. I measured the barrel interior length as precisely as I could and made a hickory rod to seat the round ball from the muzzle end. I then put in about 95 grains of 2f (approx standard .54 caliber load) and let fly. Whoooooeeee!!! Flame! Smoke! Recoil! ...and I don't know where the ball went.

Abandoning my attempt at self-destruction I went back to the conical bullet and paper cartridge. The accuracy is sufficient for deer up to 125 yards and the conical bullet is large enough to use on Elk.

The only modification I made was to take a full buckhorn muzzle loader sight blade and silver solder it on to the original adjustable base.

I'm including the images that show the breech block as well as the implements needed to assemble the paper cartridges. 'fp' stands for flash paper and the rest is pretty much self explanatory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cwfirearmspartial.jpg (58.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg sharps1.jpg (57.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg papercasecombo.jpg (91.0 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Jay Edward (deceased); 05-22-2005 at 11:40 AM..