Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Paper-Patching for the 9.3
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Family Member

Nelsdou is on a distinguished road
Default Paper-Patching for the 9.3

Rounded up some hard-cast lead bullets in 35 caliber, 220 grainers w/GCs. Two wraps of paper gives me about 7~8 mils thickness so paper-patching a .358 bullet should get me to .366, enough to try in the 9.3x57 Husky. With a little experimenting I got the hang of "wrapping" pretty quick.

I found the back of a computer mousepad works pretty well in "rolling your own".

After snipping the tails I rolled the bullets in Lee Alox lube and let them dry before loading.

Loaded 5 four-round sets using 38 to 42 grains IMR3031. Shot two of the 38 grainers at 50 yds (then taped over) just to make sure I was on paper and then rest shot the remainder at 100 yds. When I went from 39 to 40 grains I adjusted the POI down as the trajectory became flattter. No chrony, as I had no idea how this PP-experiment might work out.

I was pleased with the results that at least they were all on the target, however each individual 4 shot group is 5~6 inches. Can't really tell much difference between any of the load groups. All my brass indicates low pressure. The only difference I made to the rifle on this outing was to loosen the secondary bolt in the forearm (a tiny screw) to not restrict the barrel's thermal exapansion on this, a very warm day.

If anything, I like where the 42 grain load set is going and maybe should try pushing this load a bit higher.

What do you guys think?

Nels