Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

New Rifle Purchase
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Senior Family Member

Jorge in Oz is on a distinguished road
Default New Rifle Purchase

Hi Guys,

Just purchase a Lee Enfield No4 Mk 1 in 303-270 for $300. I love the 270 cals and I'd been looking for a Mauser or P14 in that cal but could locate one for under $500.

I'll be buying a 303-270 FL sizing vice die for about $30 and just use my 303 Brit loading gear and a universal 270 neck die that I have also. Already got the 270 projectiles so I'm ready to go. I know the action is not as strong as the Mauser or P14 but I may get another one when I have the cash or the price is right.

Here is the link http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=12623

The add says No1 Mk4 but I know what he meant.

You know this is the minimum legal calibre that I could possibly use down here. Ironic as 270 cal is the minimum with a case length of more than 2 inches. A 6.5x55 with big pills would knock down sambar easier than my new 303-270 but yet that is the law, go figure.

I can't wait to start experimenting with some loads. I have been collecting loading data and picking my preferred loads for about 5 years so finally I'll get to test them out. i know it won't be as accurate as my old Tikka in 270 Win but I'll do my best to accurize the rifle as much as I can.

I'll have to notify the Minister of Finance about my purchase, I'm sure it will be an intense meeting.

I have some Greek HXP cases that I bought a while back that I may try. I also have a ton of Highland (Prvi Partisan) 303 cases that I use for my 303-25.

I was about to go vanilla like Kombi but I have still resisted and stayed old school. If it is not accurate enough for hunting deer I will opt for a new thunder stick. They say most shots on sambar are taken between 40 to 150 meters so you may think I have a chance of hitting one if everything is hunky dory on the rifle. It's hard buying online because you can't see and handle the goods.

I've attached a pic just in case you can't read the link.

Cheers

Jorge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC27875.jpg (12.7 KB, 117 views)

“The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity.” ― Leonard Ravenhill