Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

It's Good to Have the Memories...
Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default It's Good to Have the Memories...

Most of the Amercan men of my generation that didn't grow up in "the big city", spent at least a few afternoons out 'on safari' with their trusty .22s in search of the wily stump, 'tin' can, or occasional rabbit or grouse if we were really lucky. In my case, too many such afternoons to count. It's been a long time since I've done that. At least 40 years, or more. I reset the clock on that activity this afternoon. Kinda, anyway.

I've been working on a little Flobert "Gallery Gun" for a couple of weeks and since the breech of the rifle was at least back to complete, I simply couldn't resist running a round or two through it. Just to check 'function', dontchaknow. When I came back in the house, what should be staring me in the eye but one of those above-mentioned wily 'pop cans'. Since pop cans are a rarity in our house and the weather was perfect, I took it as 'a sign'. I grabbed the pop can, a box of .22 CB shorts, and headed out into the wilds of my back yard to commence the safari.

I tossed the empty aluminum can out as far as I could get it to go against the wind, sat down in a chair on my patio, opened the box of CB Shorts, set them on the table, and chambered a round. Killed that sneaky can hiding in the grass on the first shot. I spent the next half an hour or so shooting the can around the yard. This little rifle is absolutely 'minute-of-pop-can' accurate with those CCI CB Shorts.

It was surprisingly fun. Made me wanna be a kid again when I could just grab my gun, a pocket-full of 'shells', and take off into the woods with no greater care than being back home in time for supper. It's good to have the memories.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Tags
.22 caliber, .22 rf, flobert, gallery gun