Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Range Report on CZ-455 With New 1:9 Twist Barrel Liner
Old 09-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Range Report on CZ-455 With New 1:9 Twist Barrel Liner

So as some of you are aware, even though I have a couple of Ruger 10/22s that shoot the Aquila SSS cartridge pretty well, http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=19492 I have been trying to 1) get a 1:9 twist barrel for a .22 RF bolt gun, (http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=19507), and 2) get a subsonic load for the .22 Hornet. (http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=19575) And here is another thread about the purchase of a CZ-455 in pursuit of #1 above. http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=19596

As I mentioned in one of those other threads, I found a fellow that makes .22 RF barrel liners with 1:9 twist rifling, and ordered two (his minimum). I installed one in an old milsurp 8mm take-off barrel. (The 5/16ths (0.312") OD of the 27" liner fits 'perfectly' in the 8mm (0.315) bore.) A little epoxy, and voila'!, I have a .22 RF barrel, 23 inches long, with 1:9 twist rifling, that I can machine to fit a CZ-455 receiver!

After doing all of the liner installation and machining the breech for the 455, the initial shots were pretty darned poor. I was certainly disappointed. However, after doing a little detective work, I was able to find the problem and fix it. (It was a burr INSIDE the muzzle. Still not sure HOW that happened, but it ain't there now, I assure you!) The next shots were "OK", but nothing to 'write home about'. There were two possible causes for the mediocre groupings: 1) The liner was just "mediocre" , or 2) it just needed to be "shot in". Hoping for the latter, I have been putting some bullets through the barrel for the past two days. Yesterday, I put some "diamond dust" on five rounds and shot them first. (That's how I found the muzzle burr.) After fixing the burr, I shot 50 rounds of some bulk Winchester, copper-washed bullets, with a advertised MV of 1280 f/s. Again, nothing special about those groups. But then I wasn't expecting anything special from that ammo. Although, if you look here: http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=18863 you can see that that ammo shot pretty well from all three of those rifles.

So today, I decided to put another 50 rounds through the barrel for some more "sweetening" of the bore as j0e_bl0ggs would say. This 50 would NOT be copper-washed, but rather "lead with wax". I chose to use CCI Subsonics with an advertised MV of 1080 f/s. j0e_bl0ggs also suggested that since my real interest was in the Aguila SSS, I should shoot some SSSs before I shot the CCIs, and then again after I shot the CCIs, and see if there was any improvement. So... I shot 10 SSSs, then 5 Norma subsonic rounds, then 25 CCI subsonics at one point of aim, and 25 at a second PoA. Then 5 more SSSs and 5 more Normas. Here are the targets.
The first 10 SSSs:

I adjusted the scope after the first 5, and "settled down" a bit too. Notice the "1-in-5" flier!

The first 5 Normas:

There are 5 shots there, I assure you.

The first 25 CCIs:

The second 25 CCIs:

The "after" Normas:

And the "after" SSSs:

A nice group, no doubt, BUT... Notice the "1-in-5" flier AGAIN!

It certainly looks like things got better. HOWEVER, I must point out that after I finished shooting all of the CCIs, I was not comfortable with my "hold", and I changed my shooting rest from a 1-point system (support only at the receiver just in front of the magazine), to a two-point system (support at the receiver AND support at the butt). The two-point system was a bit steadier. SO... some of the improvement seen might be due to the better rifle support. However, I don't care. Those groups are GOOD. I'll take them from a barrel I "made"! ("Made" = Installed liner and machined breech for CZ-455 receiver.)

I think I have found my bolt action, "long" barreled, fast twist, .22 RF rifle that can shoot the Aguila SSS with a precision I am satisfied with.

Paul

PS - I don't have any SSS MVs to report yet though.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 09-30-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Tags
.22 caliber, .22 rf, cz-455, norma subsonic, sss, subsonic, subsonic .22 rf