Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: Vihtavouri Powder From 1945
Old 08-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vihtavouri Powder From 1945

I have had MANY mis-fires/duds in .22 rimfire ammo. Too many to count. And... I have picked up .22 RF ammo at the range that had a firing pin dent in them and tried to fire them myself. The vast majority have not shot in my rifle either. I have to say though that I never had a center-fire cartridge "dud" until a few years back when I was shooting my newly acquired/built .50 ALaskan in the dead of winter. It 'sorta' fired, but not really. I am convinced it was the combination of being very cold, powder with a 'slow' burning rate, and a large capacity case.

I've never experienced a misfire/dud with 'factory' CF ammo. That's probably more a function of the fact that of all the rifle ammo I have fired in my life, probably only 1 in a 100 rounds weren't handloaded. I started handloading for my .270 Win when I was 16, and never looked back. Any time I have shot factory ammo was because I needed to buy a box to get cases so I could load my own. Come to think of it, I seriously doubt that I have shot 300 rounds of factory CF rifle ammo in my life. Whether I have shot 30,000 rounds of CF rifle ammo (100 * 300) is tough to tell. Probably not. So "1 in a 100" might be a stretch, but I'm quite certain 1 in 50 isn't.

As I mentioned in the original thread about the Remington response, my "issue" wasn't with the 'dud', it was with the @#$%^&* answer Remington gave.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc