Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Spooky possum
Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Spooky possum

Yesterday morning as usual I was sitting here staring out the window at the darkness waiting for daylight & drinking coffee. A couple hours later when it finally got a bit light enough to see a bit I noticed something that looked out of place out by the old apple tree. It didn't move after 15 minutes & I decided it was just a pile of dirt from moles that are tearing the lawn up. Ten minutes later it was gone. I kept watching & it appeared again coming from under the low hanging limbs of the fir trees. I knew it was a varmint then. I couldn't tell what it was even by using the 10x binoculars. Muffin was up by 8 AM & looked at it & said it was a possum. I thought it was a groundhog eating apples but groundhogs are in hibernation & there was a big frost. My eyes are really bad in low light. It kept going & coming from under the fir trees. Around 10;30 I picked up one of the 410 shotguns & went out to see what the difugilty was. It always came out & laid down with it's nose to the ground. When I was 10 feet away it paid no attention to me till I stomped my foot. It turned it's head & gave me a baleful stare. When it bunched it;s muscles & started getting it's feet placed I unloaded the 410 in it. I still don't know what was wrong with it but suspect it had rabies. Doesn't matter any more now. I noticed it had no tail. .......Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Possum.JPG (155.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3884.JPG (155.9 KB, 8 views)