Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Really strange weather
Old 09-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Really strange weather

The weather all this year has been the strangest in my memory. We had a rather mild winter & the wettest spring I can recollect. The snow & cold weather let up around thhe middle of May then the rain came. Couldn't get the ground dry enough to work up for planting a garden. Farmers couldn't plant corn or soybeans , a few set tobacco in muddy ground but it wouldn't grow. Corn & soybeans were in the ground late & didn't grow very good. Most farmers have quit the tobacco business & gone to corn & soybeans for cash crops. None are equipped to harvest beans & hire travelling crews to do it. .......To make matters worse, now we're having hot, dry weather that's stunting all crops. The only tobacco crop within 20 miles was only about waist high with bottom leaves turning yellow & falling off. That crop has been cut & housed early. He didn't get half a crop this year. .......Downstate in counties like Lincoln & Casey counties things were a bit better. There is a lot of Amish & Mennonites in that area. Amish are gardeners but Mennonites are farmers. The Amish don't use tractors & machinery but Mennonites do. The Mennonites lease or rent unused old farms. clear brush growing in the old fields & use weed & brush killer. Usually they own a dairy herd & dump the manure in large concrete holding tanks and use it for fertilizer on the fields instead of chemical fertilizer. You won't find any weeds in their fields. I'll attach a picture of a bit of the Mennonites beans adjoining my sister's property. They're waist high & only a fraction of the beans they raise. Other farmers can take a lesson from Mennonites. .........Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln Co., Ky beans.jpg (209.0 KB, 11 views)