Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Off to Missouri for Whitetail Deer
Old 10-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Off to Missouri for Whitetail Deer

Got an Alaskan once-in-a-lifetime drawing permit for bison, (http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=20523, http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=20372, http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=20287), now I'm headed off to Mighty Missouri to hunt deer where all I have to do is pay money to the state and I can shoot a buck and a doe whitetail. No drawing required. What IS required is a place to hunt. That will be provided by my good friends sakorick and "John". It is a great privilege to have friends like these fellows.

I'll be chronicling that hunt here. Opening day is November 16th, 2019. I intend to hit the ground in Mo. on Thursday, the 14th. Rick will pick me up in Kansas City and we will wend our way to his farm in Linneus. I last hunted Rick's place two years ago (http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...ad.php?t=19660). I blooded Ol' John's .338 MAI creation on that hunt, and so I thought I'd stick with that rifle this year. To that end, I loaded 16, 225 Accubonds last night and have a total of 31 rounds, (18, 225 ABs, and 13, 225 Hornadys), loaded. (For those interested, the load is: 52.6 grains of Reloder 17 behind the 225 AB with a CCI 200 primer. Seating depth is irrelevant as that is a function of each individual chamber.) I don't have an even 40 (two boxes) loaded, because I ran out of 225 ABs. I have 180s and 200s, but no more 225s. Since the rifle/scope is sighted in for the 225s, I could load the balance of 9 with the Hornadys, but I think I'll try to get some more ABs before I head to Mo. and use them instead.

This year, Rick has a 'host' of hunters on his place: His son Eric (fire717), his grandsons Evan and Owen, as well as me, and himself. That would be at least 5 deer, and more if anyone decides to take a doe as well. It is only right that his son and grandsons get first crack at dad's/grandpa's deer, so I'll be hunting another place. A mutual friend of ours - "John" - has, for several years, offered to let me hunt his land. When last I was in Mo., I told John I would like to take him up on his offer, and he said he was glad to have me, so I think this year I'll be hunting "John's place".

Since I won't be working up any loads or building any rifles for this hunt, there won't be much to tell before the hunt. Should something noteworthy come up, I'll post it here. While I may or may not get a deer, I am quite certain that among the 6 of us, (Rick, John, Eric, Evan, Owen and me), there will be pictures of smiling faces and dead bucks.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 11-10-2019 at 07:56 PM..