Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: I need pictures of fish with the fish's weight.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need pictures of fish with the fish's weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterbug
I would be over there tonight after work but it's lightning here
Coward! (I'll tell you about me and fishing and lightning when I was young and stupid and 'lived' to fish'.) Rick's place is the perfect place to perform this 'research', but I can't get him or his kith and kin to do it! You indeed may have to go over there again and show him how it's done. However, all the trout over in your neck of the woods would be great! I'll see if I can find a good scale to get in your hands. You're still the person (besides me and those paid to do it) that has added the most data to the database.

Marine fish are great! Just try to get as many samples of one species as you can. In other words, several flatfish; several sharks; several 'rockfish', etc.

So when I was in the Navy and finally out of school and not at sea, I was mighty 'hungry' for fishing and hunting. It had been a LONG dry spell since I joined the Navy, been through boot (12 weeks), been through Basic Electricity and Electronics school (6 weeks), Submarine Sonar A-1 school, (18 weeks), Sub School (8 weeks), and my first 'Deterrent Patrol" (90 days plus time before the patrol began). All tolled including 'hurry up and wait' intervals between schooling, about a year and a half. Like I said, I was hungry.

My barracks were about 200 yards from the Thames river bank. (This would be the South Carolina Thames river - pronounced THAYMS in SC, not "Timms" as in England.) I NEEDED to go fishing in a bad way. Now SC and Georgia have thunderstorms of Biblical proportions! I do not exaggerate. I have had to get off a road and wait for a storm to pass because it was raining so hard that my windshield wipers couldn't stay ahead of the rain and I literally could not see the front of my car, let alone the road.

Anyway, there was a culvert that jutted out into the river about 100 feet. I was standing at the end of this METAL culvert, a hundred feet or so out in the river, with an 8-ft fly-rod in my hands, in the middle of a torrential downpour, fishing for mullet. I'd been there maybe 10 minutes when lightning struck the transformer on the telephone pole back on shore that was RIGHT WHERE THE CULVERT I WAS STANDING ON CAME TO SHORE! First, unless you have had lightning strike very close to you, you can't appreciate the SOUND. It is TRULY deafening! I don't know why I didn't jump in the water at the 'blast'. Second, when there's that much electricity in the air, everything close by gets SOME jolt, even if not 'stunning'. There I was holding a lightning rod in my hand, out in the MIDDLE of a river, in the middle of a serious thunderstorm. EEDJIT! After the lightning struck the transformer, I figured it was time to 'go inside'...

Personally, I have no doubt that it was Divine intervention that 'selected' the transformer instead of the lightning rod standing on a metal platform 100' out in the middle of NOT deionized water. But, others will disagree. That's ok, 'cause I'm the one that was actually there.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

"I want to live in a country where the poor people are fat." Spoken by a "skin-and-bones" Indian beggar explaining why he wanted to live in America.