Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Stripping and Re-bluing a GP-161
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

recoil junky is on a distinguished road
Default Stripping and Re-bluing a GP-161

There's a sad story first.

After Doc got out of the Army, he moved to Florida to "find himself" and "begged" me for my GP-161 (Ruger GP100, 6 inch barrel w/full barrel shroud) so with 't missus' full knowledge I was going to get a new KGP-161 I let him take it. While he was off on "walkabout" his boat (actually the one next to it was "struck by lightning") caught fire and burned to the waterline and we thought all was lost (boat yup gone) but a couple years ago when we were down "moving in" to the Florida house the gal from the Marina called me and asked if I wanted Doc's guns!!!

Uh, YEAH!!!

So we went down and picked them up. There's more to the story, but I won't go into it.

Here's what she looked like before her "sea voyage"

She was a bit stiff, but after a good scrubbing I had her shootable, so I did. Holding nothing back I loaded up some of the hottest loads I felt safe with and shot and shot and shot and shot and shot, some 250 plus rounds of 158 grain XTP's and some 200 rounds of 357429's. She built up a little copper, but there was no leading to speak of and she still shot better'n I can hold her so I figured I'd try re-bluing the old hag. Can't screw 'er up any more than she already is and I wanted to try 'n make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so I took her clear apart, clean down to the little spring loaded button thingies that hold the whuchamacallits in, yeah those.

Anyway here's the old gal after the massive clean-up and rub down starting with 120 grit (to remove as much of and many of the pits as I could) then 400, 800, 1500 grit paper then finishing with crocus cloth and 0000 steel wool:. . . . . . .

I have some Montana mountain mahogany I'm going to make some grip inserts out of, but not today . . . . .

I should go shoot her now, but it snowed some last night so maybe tomorrow . . . . . .

RJ