Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Disaster, but not Catastrophe
Old 12-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Disaster, but not Catastrophe

Last week or so, I ordered a Redding 'case forming die' to form .350 Remington Mag cases from any of the other "belted magnum" cases like .300 Win Mag, .7mm Rem Mag, .338 Win Mag, etc. I also bought some once-fired .300 Win Mag cases off of GunBroker. As I mentioned in another thread, 1) there is essentially no .350 Rem Mag cases AVAILABLE, and 2) for those one or two places that might have some, they are well over a dollar a piece. The forming die cost me something a little over $40, and the once-fired brass was about 50 cents a piece. So, once the pieces (die and brass) were in hand, I decided to make some .350 Rem Mag brass.

All went well enough. (I crushed two shoulders out of 20 before I developed the right 'touch'. The .300 Win Mag case is A LOT longer than the .350 Rem Mag case.) Once I had the new cases trimmed to length and chamfered, I dumped them in the polisher, turned it on, and 'went away' to let the polisher work for a couple of hours. When I returned to the the shop, I was met with the scene you see below.

What keeps this from being a 'catastrophe', is that while I have yet to sort through all of the damage, I THINK, nothing was broken. I'll know more later today. The cabinet simply pulled out of the wall. While it was screwed to studs, clearly there was just too much weight for those screws. You can bet I will be beefing up those anchor screws.

Self-inflicted of course. I simply put too much 'stuff' in and ON (the top) of the cabinet. It was, however, the largest cabinet. It is going to take me several days to get everything back to 'normal'.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_221006753.jpg (41.4 KB, 25 views)
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill with wisdom. Paul Skvorc