Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Paper Wasp
Old 07-15-2018, 06:43 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Paper Wasp

I recently started making a portable reloading bench that I could move around as needed. A few days ago I went out to the storage shed to use the chop saw to cut a few boards. After cutting the boards & sweeping the sawdust out I turned to close the door. What appeared to be a dirt dauber tried to get in the shed. I don't want a dirt dauber in the shed. I slapped down in the grass & bent down to try to see it & put my foot on it. I'm half blind & have trouble seeing dark objects on a dark surface. Just as I spotted it, it came up right at my face. It wasn't a dirt dauber after all but a common brown wasp. I don't want a wasp in the shed either. It must have taken umbrage for being slapped down. Before I could slap it again it hit my nose & stung me lightly. Now it doesn't bother me much being stung by anything but it irks me no end being stung on the nose, ears or lips by anything. Didn't take me long to slap it off my nose. Slapping my nose is no fun either. I can't relate the conversation I had with the wasp because of forum rules but I don't remember exactly what I said anyway. I'm sure part of it had something to do with his dubious ancestry. You have to remember I'm a reformed US Navy sailor but I have relapses under certain circumstances. Under the circumstances any man of The Cloth that didn't utter unholy epitaphs gets my vote for Sainthood. In our battle the wasp scored another hit in my arm. I decided to resort to chemical warfare myself & came to the back porch & got a spray can of bug killer. When I got back to the shed the varmint was waiting for me. I filled the air with enough fog from the can to block the sun for 20 minutes. When it dissipated I couldn't see the wasp. I guess that makes me the winner. …….Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown_Paper_Wasp.jpg (154.0 KB, 19 views)