Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old target & varmint scopes
Old 09-14-2018, 05:18 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Old target & varmint scopes

Was plundering around looking for a company that could replace crosshairs in target scopes & found several old R.A. Litschert-Davis scopes for sale. I couldn't believe the prices. They run from 200 dollars to 600 dollars. There may be more that are asking even more for these old scopes. I seriously doubt any of these old scopes costing more than 200 dollars new. Litschert scopes were low end target & varmint scopes back in their day but most likely the best scopes for the money anywhere. .....Mr. Litschert retired around 1961 & sold the business to Myron Davis. I suspect Myron only made scopes when he got an order for one. Litschert Optical was located in Winchester, Indiana, a little farming town across the Ohio state line not far from Oxford, Ohio. I'm not sure but I suspect Myron worked for Litschert before Litschert sold him the business. When Myron took over the business he changed the name to Davis Optical Co. Myron & I became good friends shortly after he bought the business. Litschert made a varmint scope that I really liked but couldn't afford when I was only making $1.50 an hour as a toolmaker apprentice. That scope was called a Super Eagle. It had a one inch tube. The standard Eagle model had a 3/4 inch tube but still an excellent scope. After Myron bought the business he didn't want to make any more Super Eagle scopes. He told me they were difficult to make & there was no money in making them. ........More later. .......Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 power Litschert-Davis target scope.JPG (111.5 KB, 16 views)