Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > BOWHUNTING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

I Got Me a Trophy!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Family Member

Kanibal is on a distinguished road
Default I Got Me a Trophy!

Well kind of anyways. Here goes my story! I was sharpening my broadheads getting ready for an archery hunt and things were going like you would expect when sharpening broadheads until suddenly a tragedy happened that would affect the next few weeks of my life. As I was finishing up one of the last of my dozen or so hunting arrows I was dragging the broadhead across the stone when it slipped off and went straight into my leg.

It entered about five inches above my right knee and burried itself all the way to the shaft. I was so surprised at what had happened that I immediately pulled it back out of my leg as I knew in the back of my mind that that particular arrow was probably meant to be in some sort of game animal somewhere out in the forest rather than in my very own thigh. Immediately removal of the arrow I found that massive hemorage did infact take place and that broadheads really do their job and do it well.

As I continued to bleed I quickly grabbed my nearby phone and called the paramedics. I was bleeding so much that I was afraid I had cut my femoral artery, but when the paramedics arrived I had found that I had not cut the artery but that it required stitches. They bandaged me up and I made for the ER. I ended up losing well over a pint of my blood, a few towels, a favorite pair of pants and the use of my right leg.

I was also to find that my broadheads are very sharp and if they work on myself then they should surely work on a deer. Probably not the best way to test the sharpness of a broadhead, but now I know what a deer feels like and may even show a little more respect for the game I kill.

Moral of this story- Always pay attention to what your doing regardless of how many times you have done it and also SWITCH TO RUBBER BLUNTS!!!!!!!

P.S. I have pictures of my stitches if anyone would like me to post them on this thread. I just thought Id ask before someone with a queezy stomach saw a picture of my battle wound.