another PH 4 brithunter or anyone

Started by forand, December 14, 2007, 01:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forand

hi all ive got a couple of parker hales and if posible i woulde like any information about them ive tryed to photograph all the markings but some aint to clear but we will have a go anyway the first is a 303 :biggthumpup:the lettering in the first picis N 4 E  we also have DP 1974  and just above that what looks like a crown with a crossed diaganaly ? and numbers possibly a 4 and a 5 it also has a 11E under a difrent looking ?crown with a cross(cathlic) on it any ideas/ info on this rifle much appreciated
thenext on is a 22-250 :happy: from going through the forum i think its a 1200 but not sure it has no markings on it except BNP and R 57171 and parker hale birmingham stamped on the barrel ive checked under the wood but nothing at all :stars: what do you all think
 brithunter i read in one of the threads that the 22-250 didnt have iron sights so in pic 89 /90 the dovetail and the taps on the end of the barrel have these been done after manufacture ? :o or are they not for iron sights if not what are they for THANKS FOR ANY INFO

Blackjack

Hello Kevin Brithunter,

Is your Meopta scope rail for the Brno ZG 47 for-sale?

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

sakorick

The 22-250 looks like a 1200 with the front sight and rear sight removed. It should have the year mark with the crossed swords somewhere. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Ok so somehow I missed this post ............................... :oops:

The Lee Enfield sporter is a No1mk111 Supreme built on a LSA (London Small Arms) receiver with P-H rail and rings. Those markings in the first photo are just military acceptance and inspection marks The E under the crown in an inspectors mark form Enfield lock I believe and nothing to do with Parker-Hale at all. The DP 1974 is probably the batch No assigned to London Small Arms by the Ministry of supply. batch numbers were assigned to different manufacturers. LSA did not survive WW1 I seem to recall.

Now the 22/250 is a slight puzzle, the barrel is normal sporting weight so the sight cuts are normal so someone has removed the Williams sights. It was the heavy "Bull" barrel on the varmint model that had not sights fitted. The stock is correct for a Super Safari or 1200 Super but the 1200 Super had a Gold plated trigger usually but P-H did make different specs for certain markets, just to confuse things, some markets had blacked bolts others were left polished white, some markets had high gloss poly finish to the stock others an oiled finish.

Now I am not sure where your at in the world so the possiblities as I see it right now are if it's a 1200 Super then:-

1) Your importers specified a black trigger blade.

2) Someone has swopped the trigger over

Or it's a late Safari Super or Super Safari.

Under the chamber there should be the proof marks, proof pressure and cartridge length then a pair of crossed lances (pennants Skennerton calls them) with letters at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock like this:-

Now BSA had the proof marks visiable but P-H for some reason had theirs hidden under the bottom of the chamber butt he view mark is sually by the proof markings somethign like this on a BSA 270:-

It's those letters either side of the lances we need to know.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: