Which super car would you pick?

Started by kombi1976, February 11, 2008, 04:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

I was a Ford fan for many years and then became a VW enthusiast.
I liked Ferraris and Porsches and Lambos but hardly knew the different models and at such a cost they never entered into my mind as cars I might own.
After becoming a fan of of the brilliant BBC car show TopGear my dreams have changed.
Give me a blank cheque and I'd still buy 20 VWs over a supercar but now I've begun to dream about REALLY fast cars again.
And y'know, I reckon today there are more fast cars out there than there ever has before.
And when I say fast I mean astoundingly fast.
Take the Bugatti Veyron.......packing an 8.0l (488 cube) quad turbo-charged W16 it develops a whopping 1001bhp, does 0-60 mph in 2.46 seconds, 0-100 mph in 5.5 seconds and tops out at a scorching 253.81 mph (408 kmh), all with complete comfort and stability.
More disturbingly the Veyron is apparently quite well mannered trundling around town at 35 mph.
Mind you the rest of the gang sit well below the Veyron and cars like the Koenigsegg CCX, which has an official top speed of 245 mph, are far more twitchy at the top end and the CCX has the reputation for being fearsome to drive.
So what to choose?
The Koenigsegg......to much like hard work.
Ferraris........passe - do I look like Magnum PI?
The Pagani Zonda........nope - looks like a display from a STAR TREK Convention.
Well, I feel called by Porsches, the natural relative of VWs, and the most recent 911 Turbo with twin variable vane turbos and a boost controller that develops around 450 bhp is very enticing, especially since it's constant 4WD system makes it almost impossible to lose traction.
But as a Ford lover of old and being smitten with the GT40 as a youngster I had definite feelings for the GT.
And hey, with a 5.0l V8 with added supercharger for 550hp which could be viewed through the rear portal you have to be onto a good thing.
Plus it has a top speed of 205 mph.
So I turned these 2 over in my head....the perfectly engineered and VW linked 911 or the horsepower-first/handling-later and classic looks of the GT.
Until tonight........
TopGear this evening featured the Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640.
I've always liked the Murcielago.
It is squat and muscular and menacing but somehow elegant as well and the burgundy colour of the first one I saw had me.
It sounded brilliant and looked great and it handled like it was on rails thanks to it's 4WD system.
But it just wasn't up to spec.
The Pagani Zonda and the Koenigsegg CCX and the Ferrari 430 and the Aston Martin DB9.......all of these cars were really scarey and they yelled SPEED!
So I hummed and hawed and thought the Lambo was a bit of a light weight.
Well no more.
Using the original 6.2l V12 the power is now a cool 640 bhp, 0-60 mph is 3.3 seconds and it has a confirmed top speed of 219 mph.
So, as I told my wife, should you wish to buy me a supercar make it a burgundy Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640.
So, now I've rattled on enough, what would you guys get?

P.S.
The real joke about the whole thing is that now Lamborghini are owned by Audi.
And you know who owns Audi? VW :biggthumpup:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

subsonic

My wife and son both really like the Koenigsegg. Let me know how you pronounce that one.

I have no use for a "super car" myself.

Just drop off a Factory Five Racing Cobra kit in the driveway and give me 60k to buy parts for it. I'll take it from there. There will be a smallish aluminum v8 breathing via twin, intercooled Garretts under the hood, a 6 speed in the tunnel, and the only "power" equipment will be brakes.

Or I guess I could settle for an Elise or a Monster Miata. I wouldn't complain about a Viper ACR coupe...

Do you read autospeed.com Kombi?

subsonic

I guess that would be "under the bonnet" for you Aussies :greentongue: .

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

subsonic

Definitely a Super car. And a great sandwich at Denny's too!

A Hemi Dart is more my speed. There is a guy here in the St. Louis area with a DOHC Hemi Dart with twin distributors. Very neat car - gets street driven sometimes. Looks like a "stock" Dart from the outside. Does not sound stock.

kombi1976

Ok, I think I perhaps should clarify something here.
I'm asking for SUPER cars, not muscle cars.
I love the Dart and I really like the Superbird but they are muscle cars.
Are either capable of 200+ MPH?
Are they completely impractical, look like a cross between a rocket ship and a racing boat and cost at least 1/2 a mil each?
See my point?
In most cases even Porsches, apart from a specific few models like the GT1, are not supercars.
So let's do muscle cars in another thread and for this one, choose something REALLY complete silly and impractical.
As far as I'm aware the current Corvette is the only American made car even approaching this class so you may have to bite the bullet and, GASP!, choose something made in Yurrop! :eek:

BTW, Koenigsegg is pronounced Ker-nig-zeg.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Clueless

I wish I had every car I've ever owned sitting in my garage.  when purchasing a new car I looked for a "jump out from under ya" with a modicum of effort on my part.

1st car I ever bought: 1964 Dodge Dart...slant 6.  Hurst Transmission, 4 in the floor.  Perfect syncronization transmission.  I could be running hard in 4th gear, cram it in 3rd and in moments the car would hunker down and jump 50 ft. Slam it back in 4th...you get the picture. :smiley:

Of the luxury cars:

Cadillac Sedan DeVill.  V8, 410(?)  Looked like a luxury car, with the heart of a sports car.  Cruising easily at 110-130 .  No mess, no fuss just "gitty up and go" .

Never owned an Audi but drove one.  The most fun vehicle I ever drove.  I didn't purchase the car because I didn't like the plastic parts of the car under the hood...

The corvette these days is not the car it was back in the "stingray" days.

1988-1990 Cadillac Avante...more power than the De Vill and definately a sports car.
Jump tall buildings in a single leap!! LOL!!
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Hunterbug

Then I would take a Ford GT. 0-60 in 3.6seconds and a top speed over 200mph.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Clueless

63-65 Ford Mustang Mach 4. Need I say more? :bowdown:

I was Ford all the way for years.  Thunderbird was my favorite Ford.
Then I switched to Cadillac.
Tried Mercedes and back to Cadillac.
Had a Mercedes Fox for a while..
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead

How about a 1968 Roadrunner. Or a 1964 Impalla SS convertable. Or a 1964 Falcon Sprint. :) Those were the days....I have an 850 Norton Commando, but that ain't no car!

Clueless

Oh yes the Chevy Impala..had one of those too....Wings!! LOL!!

Me thinks we are telling our age Jarhead!! LOL!!

I was/am a car fanatic?  I have always had a "love affair" with cars.

And Motorcycles.  Started out with a Honda 500 street and evolved into a Honda Gold Wing.  Loved to take "little" trips on the Gold.

What's a Commando?
Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead

Quote from: Clueless;74013Oh yes the Chevy Impala..had one of those too....Wings!! LOL!!

Me thinks we are telling our age Jarhead!! LOL!!

I was/am a car fanatic? I have always had a "love affair" with cars.

And Motorcycles. Started out with a Honda 500 street and evolved into a Honda Gold Wing. Loved to take "little" trips on the Gold.

What's a Commando?

:Banghead:  It was the motorcycle of the year from 1970 to 1975. Made in England my friend! I started out with a 1970 350 Honda....Have owned 13 motorcycles. But, currenty have a 2003 Harley Superglide, 1973 Triumph 750 Tiger, 850 Norton Commando, and a 1970 650 BSA. Just like good rifles, they are very hard to part with. The Norton was the Super Bike, until the Honda 750 Four came out and blew its socks off. I still have my first car:shy: A 1950 2 dr Plymouth Coupe. :biggthumpup:

Clueless

Oh WOW!! Jarhead!!
What a collection.

I think I got caught up in ..commando...LOL!! My brain went off..LOL!!

This is the first I have heard of a Commando Motorcycle.

I did a little Motorcross and Enduro. Until I decided I was much too old and had family to raise. And my joints began to do that thing happens as you age..
250 Honda Moto
350 Yamaha
750 Suzuki for Enduro when I was older and wise.

I rode them and ever oncet in a while they rode me!! :eek:

But my love of cars is always with me. LOL!!
Thomas Jefferson

Tags: