I know it's a little late....

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), February 24, 2008, 01:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

...but I found this photo of a church in the woods that has some history behind it.  What with it being Sunday, I thought you all might enjoy the image and the text that goes along with it.

Text:

Shiloh Baptist Church

Thirteen (13) miles north of Maidstone on Highway 21, a sign directs travellers to Shiloh Church. Three (3) miles east of Highway 21 and one and one half (1 1/2) miles north will bring you to the little log church. The original little log church was built about 1912 by black settlers who emigrated to the area from Oklahoma in 1910 and 1911 in search of a better life. It was their strong faith that prompted the building of this little place of worship. Perhaps it is fitting that the church, alone, remains as evidence of a once prominent settlement.

Crosses mark the graves of family members who rest there beneath the huge spruce trees. The fragile little church nestles beside a dense caragana hedge and a cluster of poplars, home of hundreds of birds each summer. Local people, realizing the importance of preserving this historical site, have worked together with the descendants of the original emigrants to maintain it.

The church, inside and out, is as it always was....even the benches. A plaque located near the church preserves the historical significance of the site which is visited each year by people from all over the world.

bowhunter 51

It's a quite, peaceful image....I can imagine the gatherings...Kinda takes
me  to imagine  a simpler time....When neighbors were closer...living off
the land, surviving the elements........It was probably a great church to
worship in it's day.............Good stuff,  Jay...................................BH51...........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

QuoteWhen neighbors were closer...living off
the land, surviving the elements...

Exactly!!! Good picture Jay. God Bless.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Is this location in Tennessee David?

Tags: