.338 Mauser Ackley Improved Range Report

Started by gitano, March 20, 2008, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Finally today, the weather cooperated and all the stars seemed to line up and allow me to go to the range and get accomplished what I have been trying to do for a long time.

I took the .338 MAI in hopes of finally figuring out why I couldn't get it to shoot at least as well as John's MAI does. Prior to this range event, I had had problems with loose 'scope bases, 'scopes shooting apart, unexpectedly 'hot' loads... It just seemed like it was one thing after another. So I stopped everything and 'reset to zero'. Bought a new 'scope that I am extremely pleased with (Simmons model 517716). I think it is the best performing 'scope I have ever owned. If you rotate four clicks for one inch of movement, it moves one inch. Left, right, up, down, matters not. Focus is crystal clear. Only costs $150 delivered. Thank you LLANOJohn for pointing me in that direction.

Finally, after wrestling with Qucikload for over a year, I got some fine tuning completed (like adjusting the powder bulk densities used by QL to actual bulk densities measured by me), and took measurements as precisely as I could of chamber, barrel, and fired cases. Once "back to zero", I loaded Optimal Barrel Timing loads for the 180 Accubond, the 200 Ballistic Silvertip, the 210 Partition, and the Hornady 225. In addtion, I tweaked the loads (by adjusting seating depth) so that I could get the 2000 ft-lbs at 300 yds that I am currently using as cartridge design and load critereon. I have attached images of the three-shot groups for each bullet at 100 yds. The spreads are:

180 Accubond - 0.286" x 1.023" (Horizontal by Vertical) 0.293 square inches.
200 Ballistic Silvertip - 0.786" x 0.632" - 0.497 square inches.
210 Partition - 0.483" x 0.797" - 0.385 square inches.
225 Hornady - 0.453" x 0.483" - 0.219 square inches.

:D:D:D

The biggest maximum spread is 1.023" and that group's width is about 85% of a caliber.

The 225s shot less than 0.5 MOA.

Of significance second only to how precisely these loads shot, was how truly pleasant they were to shoot. The average MVs were:

180 - 2904 f/s (QL predicted 2900) Muzzle energy - 3370 ft-lbs
200 - 2711 f/s (QL predicted 2700) Muzzle energy - 3264 ft-lbs
210 - 2656 f/s (QL predicted 2623) Muzzle energy - 3289 ft-lbs
225 - 2563 f/s (QL predicted 2578) Muzzle energy - 3282 ft-lbs

I don't have pressure gauges mounted on any of these rifles yet.

In the image below, the 180 Accubond group is the upper group of small diameter holes. The lower circled group is for the Hornady 225s. What looks like two holes is actually three. Two are almost on top of each other.

In the image below, the 210 Partition group is the only circled group. The other three holes were from the 8mm Steyr.

In the image below, the 200 Ballistic Silvertip group is the circled group of small-diameter holes.

In the tradition of "finding a cloud when given a silver lining", what do I do now? All four bullets shoot great, but they do NOT have the same point of impact for the same aim. In other words, without adjusting the 'scope, they would have considerably different points of impact (inches apart) for the same sight picture. What that means, is that I have to pick a bullet to set the 'scope for.

225s for elk - 180s for everything else. :)

Good job John... :biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Nelsdou

Very impressive Paul.

I see my QL cartridge library includes the 338 MAI.  Well done!

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

Hunterbug

Are you going to bring that bac out this year for elk? You know that you can only really bring two guns, how will you decide?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Well about all I can take credit for is not giving up. John made the rifle. Chris Long came up with Optimal Barrel Timing. Simmons made the 'scope. Hornady, Nosler and Sierra made the bullets. Etc...

I am genuinely relieved that this rifle is finally shooting like I thought it would. It has been the most frustrating exercise I can recall in trying to get a rifle to shoot. In retrospect, it was a series of errors and mistakes, some of which were a function of haste/impatience or trying to cut corners. When I focused, the machine worked as designed.

Quotemy QL cartridge library

:D

Congratulations are in order all around I see. I'm glad someone else here has it.

I've been fiddling with a .308/.44-40 WCF for a Martini Cadet ........... ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

QuoteYou know that you can only really bring two guns, how will you decide?

Shuddup....

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, thats impressive. Glad you got it sorted out. I'm thinking your scopes have been the biggest problem. Gonna get me one of those Simmons scopes. I've never had any quarrel with Simmons products. The gun should be an elk buster for sure with that accuracy.  ...........Paul H

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Paul,

CONGRATS, MI AMIGO!:biggthumpup:   I knew you would prevail!:Banghead:

'BOUT TIME TOO!:greentongue:

Ol' John:sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

QuoteI knew you would prevail!:Banghead:
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I was begining to have my doubts, John. It was making me crazy. But I knew (or strongly suspected anyway) that if yours shot as well as it did, there should be no reason why mine wouldn't do the same. I wasn't quite at the end of my rope yet, but I could see the end of it. :)

I'm gonna work on the Accubonds, 'cause I've got a feelin' that they may shoot 'scary straight'. It'd be nice to have a rifle that shot that way again. I haven't had one do that since my 7x300 and the 115 HPs.

I just can't say enough about that Simmons 'scope. Why are we so impressed when tools actually work as advertised? :stare:  No need to answer, it was a rhetorical question.

Thanks again, John.

QuoteI'm thinking your scopes have been the biggest problem.
[/B]

You're absolutely right Paul, but it wasn't the only problem. QL was giving me fits too. Just as it is with any high-performance tool, you gotta have it 'tuned in'. The good news is, now that it's tuned in for the MAI, it's tuned in for everything else too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

fish3006

Tags: