New boom stick, and maybe more...

Started by babbyc1000, November 13, 2008, 11:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbyc1000

heh heh im sure everyones sick of me talking about getting a new shotgun lately, finally got it last night, a mossberg 500. its got wooden furniture, red bead sight and top rib (not rifle sights as on some models). it was priced at £265 in the gun shop as it was 2nd hand - mint condition tho, only 1 small glitch with the top rib but easily fixed - my mates dad was in pricing a new .22lr (broke his anschutz recently) and decided hed like something a bit bigger as well, maybe a .223. he was taking a while looking at the rifles so i thought id look at the shotguns. asked the owner how much he'd do the mossberg for, he said because it was 2nd hand i could "talk to him" about the price, so i said i wasnt really looking to spend more than £200, what was the best he could do?

he liftted the gun from the rack, looked at it and said "£200 even will be fine" - my wallet was out of my pocket so fast it probably broke the sound barrier lol! :biggthumpup:

i had to go back to the house to get my old single barrel (to trade in) and my licence to get the new one put on, but as of 9pm last night im the proud owner of a mossberg 500 :greentongue:

im considering going for a higher powered rifle in a few months though. some of the .222 and .223's i saw last night really caught my eye. there was also a guy in picking up a new .305 deer rifle, though dont think ill be stretching to that yet - the scope on it alone cost £1050 so i dreaded to ask what the rifle was! :eek:

but the best thing about it was when katya walked into the house after work last night. i had the mossberg sitting on the sofa beside me, she never realised and thought it was the benelli, until i pointed out that she has just bought me my christmas present.... :greentongue:
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

gitano

Quoteim sure everyones sick of me talking about getting a new shotgun
Au Contare! Never tire of hearing about new acquisitions.:biggthumpup:

Quote.305 deer rifle

.305???

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

babbyc1000

lol you might be hearing about more acquisitions soon if i get my way.... :happy:

you know i thought .305 was strange too, never heard of it before - admittedly it wasnt the new owner told me, it was another customer in the shop, didnt ask too much more when i heard about the price of the scope though so i could be wrong:undecided:

also i was wondering, does anyone else get that weird feeling of power/coolness when they rack the slide on a pump? :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

heh heh heh!! :MOGRIN:

babbyc1000

oh yeah heres a pic of the type of mossberg i got (the 500a), didnt get the lower barrel though, but hey, who cares lol!!

Alboy

Racking is pretty neat and one of those unmistakable sounds. One reason I tell those that use pumps for house defense to leave the chamber empty and rack one in when needed. Anyone coming into a place uimvited will either start introduing themselves quickly or need no mercy as they have evil on their mind.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

babbyc1000

thats a good idea. i dont keep my guns for home defense, and im sure theres some law against it anyway here, but if i was ever in a situation that i needed one id probly lift the mossberg before the benelli :):):)

gitano

I had a professionally trained guard dog once. My Dad got it for my mom's peace-of-mind while he was in Viet Nam, but the dog - a German shepherd named "Baron" - was really my dog. This was a truly extra-ordinary dog. He was fully capable of understanding when he was "on duty" and when he wasn't. He used to love to play football with us when he was "off duty". He understood that the point was to knock the person with the ball off their feet. Of course he only played 'defense'. :) He, and we, loved it.

However...

When Baron was "on duty", he was the scariest dog I've ever known in my life. I mean that. While there are many that have known more dogs than me, I've known quite a few including many vicious pit pulls. The reason Baron was so scary, is because he didn't growl; he didn't bark; he didn't make a sound. He didn't want the bad guy to get away. He didn't want the bad guy to leave. He wanted the bad guy.

I've never been so flat-out scared - truly - as once when I came in very late, and Baron didn't recognize me, but I saw him coming - his teeth were bared - his belly was on the ground - and he was moving very fast in my direction with his eyes fixed on me - and he was dead silent. I still get goose-bumps thinking about it. Baron got hold of someone once. He put 57 stitches in the guy's head, neck and shoulders. The guy never had a clue he was coming.

The point is... There is NO excuse for breaking/sneaking into someone's house. NONE. The "warning" is the locked door and basic human standards of behaviour known for millenia.

He who comes in my house without invitation is taking his life in his hands - literally -the only additional warning he will get is the muzzle flash, and that only because the speed of light is faster than the bullet and the speed of sound.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Paul

I am in agreemet on the warning system you use, however there are those that need more emotional support for their actions no matter how much that split seond of hesitation may cost them.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

I wolld have liked to meet Baron on the football field.
Chief, a mongrel and Bogie, a black lab both enjoyed playing tag in the same fashon. They would even slow down to let little ones "catch" them.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Quotethere are those that need more emotional support for their actions no matter how much that split seond of hesitation may cost them.

That's very, very true, Al.

As for Baron, he's long gone now. I've got quite few tales I can tell about him though. Maybe I'll start a thread on 'dog tales'...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

babbyc1000

that would be an idea lol! arnies not a trained guard dog but hes got the instinct; the joke used to be that if the other two dogs barked i told them to shut up, but if he barked i lifted a gun before going out. he never failed me, in fact once he saved me from being trampled by a herd of cattle, didnt know they were in a field i was shooting in and i spooked them.

so i took the mossberg out earlier, its working fine, only problem is the rib has come unstuck from the rear of the barrel, so when you fire it starts to slide out over the muzzle, but that would be easily fixed by welding a small spot. my friend doggy took his gun as well (another mosberg pump), we climbed to the top of the biggest hill over looking the town, planted a stick in the ground and put some empty cartridge boxes on it and started blasting lol! when i got home an hour later katya asked if that was me and doggy making the racket - we were almost a mile away but the whole town heard us lol!!

i dont know about everyone else but when i get a new gun i like to test it alot - aimed shots, rapid fire, firing from the hip too; not that i really need to fire from the hip, but im always a bit cautious with a new gun until i know what it handles like so i fire it from a few positions til im comfortable with it. :)

Tags: