SMLE Barrels

Started by Jorge in Oz, January 07, 2009, 08:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Hi Guys,
Just have a question for the SMLE gurus (Kombi, 22Hornet or BritHunter or any other gun dude out there).

I have a No4 MKI that has a smoothbore (no rifling left) and would serve its purpose only in my wife’s veggie patch as a tomato stake.

Just wondering if can I use a SMLE No1 MkIII barrel on a No4 as I have come across a few 303 wildcat rifles with good barrels but they are all No1 MkIII’s and would like to utilise their barrels.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

22hornet

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the thread set up is different on No. 1's compared to No.4's.
My uncle had a new 2 groove No4 barrel fitted to his No1 Mk111* and the gunsmith had to cut a new slot for the extractor, but otherwise I believe it fitted the action.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Hello Jorge. Nope......the barrel will line up 180 out. I'm afraid you need to find a No4 barrel. Can I ship you one? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: sakorick;88475Hello Jorge. Nope......the barrel will line up 180 out. I'm afraid you need to find a No4 barrel. Can I ship you one? Regards, Rick.

Hi Rick thanks for the offer. I will come back to you as I'm trying to get my hands on a 303-270, 303-22 303-243 or 303-25 barrel or any other 303 British wildcat barrel.

If I cannot get one of those we can talk. Don't you guys have to have an export permit now for barrels or is that just for businesses?

It's getting tougher for us to get gun parts from the US due to the export permits. Less people are reluctant to export now.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

QuoteIt's getting tougher for us to get gun parts from the US due to the export permits.
There aren't any restictions on gun PARTs (EXCLUDING recievers) from this end. The problem would be at your end. If I was in the business of selling gun parts, both the US and whatever country I was selling to would require import/export permits. It has NOTHING to do with guns (as long as we're NOT talking receivers) except on the receiving end. We can ship anything we want out of the US. And most of what we want in.

Paul[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

That's strange Paul check out below the response from Sarco Inc:

Mike Dimaggio [mailto:mike@sarcoinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, 24 July 2008 9:29 PM[/font]
To: Jorge Alvear[/font]
Subject: RE: Mauser Vergueiro Parts[/font]

We can not ship barrel overseas without an export license. Other parts are OK.

Best regards
Michael DiMaggio
Import/Export Manager
Sarco, Inc.
international@sarcoinc.com
908-647-3800 ext: 115
Fax: 908-647-3846[/font]
www.sarcoinc.com

Are they trying to rip us who are ignorant of your laws? Their licence cost $300 which I would have had to pay.

Cheers

Jorge

gitano

QuoteIf I was in the business of selling gun parts, both the US and whatever country I was selling to would require import/export permits.

Sarco IS in the BUSINESS of SELLING gun parts, therefore they MUST have import/export licenses. I, and Sakorick, and any other "regular Joe" would just be sending our friends gifts. If we got "in the habit" of doing it, AND were profiting from it, we'd be in hot water without a license/permit.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

So Jorge, what paperwork is required at our end?

As I understand it, if the barrel doesn't have a serial number stamped on it it doesn't have to be registered......but I could be wrong....depending on who you talk to.:stars:

Also is the "gift" a rifle barrel, that is a gun part, or is it a "steel tube, hollow, innert"?;)

THAT would make a BIG difference.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

Sorry Paul I didn't read your reply correctly. Thanks for the clarification.

Even if it's marked as a gift 22hornet, customs will still stop it. All you have to do is request an import permit from the cops and present it at customs to collect goods. If it has a serial number that must be recorded on the import permit. I don't believe we have to register barrels here in Qld even if they have a serial number.

Cheers

Jorge

gitano

In the US, the ONLY items restricted are receivers. A receiver is a gun to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives. I don't mean action, I mean receiver. Serialized or not, no other parts are restricted in sales or transport. "Class III" firearms (fully automatic) and "explosives" have special restricitons. There are other "things" that are restricted - like supressors - and in fact supressors are treated even more restrictively than firearms are, but when it comes to gun "parts", other that suppressors, nothing comes to mind that we can't ship, trade, sell, buy, etc.

Once you go into business shipping, selling, buying or trading ANYTHING across international borders, you need an import/export license on both ends.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Barrels are available from Numrich for about 70 dollars delivered  and are in good to very good condition. Regards, Rick.

gitano

Quotedelivered
However, that "delivered" may not include Canada or Australia. I don't know.

Paul[/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Hi guys read the add below they've done what I wanted to do put a No1 barrel in a No4 SMLE.

Calibre 303
Make Savage
Model No 4 Mk I*
Action Bolt repeater
Scope 1.5-4.5x21 Bushnell
Condition Very good to exc
Serial No. 36C1188
Comments No 4 action rebarreled with a new No 1 lithgow barrel. Open sights & new Picatinny rail. New Advanced technology plus original sporterised stock. Shoots very well
Contact  piggle@activ8.net.au or phone 03 5868 3314
Transfer by Finley Sports & Toys 136 Murray St Finley

gitano

If the price is right, gofer it.

It does seem to answer the questino regarding the possibility of using a No.1 bbl on a No.4 action though.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Unless I've been misinformed, the only barrels that will work on a number 4 are No4 barrels. That ad could be a typo. Regards, Rick.

Tags: