I present to you the .........

Started by gitano, January 21, 2009, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Well... we haven't named it yet, but here it is "in the flesh".

I got the .357 Max brass today and wasted no time making up a dummy. It happens to fit the chamber of the VZ-24 barrel I chambered for it, like a glove. At 0.375" the neck turns out to be a bit longer than I wanted (0.257"), but I'll live with this for the moment. If I order a reamer, I'll shorten the neck.

Anyway, having the actual case in hand, I get the following numbers from QuickLoad:

Rim thickness: 0.060"
Body length: 1.181"
Shoulder length: 0.048"
Neck length: 0.375"
Case length: 1.604"
Rim diameter: 0.431"
Head diameter: 0.376"
Shoulder diameter: 0.373"
Neck diameter: 0.341"
Neck wall thickness: 0.009"

Case capacity in grams of water: 1.986 g (or CCs)
Cae capacity in grains: 31.78 (Even more than the 30.0 grains previously calculated even with the short neck.)

At a max chamber pressure of 20,000 PSI behind a 125-grain Hornady out of a 24" bbl, I get 1948 f/s MV and ME of 1052 ft-lbs. Sighted in for a max of 2" above the line of sight, it's dead on at 126 yds, 2" low at 150, and 6" low at 200. Energy at 100 is 767 ft-lbs, at 150 it's 652 ft-lbs, and at 200 it's 600 ft-lbs. Impact velocity at 200 is 1471.

To be honest, I think this cartridge is "a bit much" for the Steven Favorite even at the modest 20,000 PSI chamber pressure. HOWEVER, I'm beginning to 'like' it for a Martini Cadet (which I understand is actually a .323 caliber), or similar single shot rifle. Or even the Encore. In fact, in the Encore, with the pressure run right up to 40,000 PSI, it might prove to be down right spiffy.

At 40k PSI, and a 24" barrel, (not Encore length, but SS rifle length), MV is a spritely 2350 f/s, and it carries 1000 ft-lbs out to 150 yds with an impact velocity of 1800 f/s. :D What's not to like?

Anyway, I think this is going to be "OK".

Paul

:oops: - Forgot the picture
Be nicer than necessary.

Steve D

Well, that is a cute little round.  Can't wait to see what the shooting results are.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

sakorick

Cool looking round. Is it going to be a plinker or do you plan on hunting something with it? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Rick - I started out just trying to get something to plink with out of the Stevens Model 1915 Favorite. As this has ended up, I think despite it's paltry 20,000 PSI chamber pressure, it might be a 'bit much' for the Favorite. Can't say exactly why, considering the low pressure, but still, it just doesn't 'feel right'.

It fits the VZ-24 take-off just fine, and of course there's plenty of 'meat' on that barrel to handle the 8x57, so this thing is fine as far as that goes. I'm more uncomfortable with the linkage on the Favorite. It's the weak link (no pun intended). It's geometry is such that the thrust on the breechblock is transferred to a couple of pins, and they aren't really very stout.

The Favorite is fully capable of handling a high velocity .22 RF round that produces around 26,000 PSI. HOWEVER, the area of the head of the .22 is substantially smaller than the area of the head of a .38/357/.357 Max. Therefore, while the pounds per square inch (area function), is greater in the .22 RF, the total pounds of the .357 head is about twice the .22's because the area of .357 head is more than two times larger than the area of the .22's.

So, after the long-winded explanation above, the short answer is: I intend to 'plink around' with it, but it should make a decent 150-yd deer cartridge in a suitable action.

As for the Favorite, I'm just gonna try to get the .32 S&W Long to work like it's supposed to in it. THEN, I'll make myself another single-shot action than can "handle the load" of this and other stronger cartridges.

Steve - "Can't wait to see what the shooting results are." You and me both. The 'proof of the pudding' for sure.

Paul

PS - By the way, you should see the external ballistics of this cartridge when loaded with the 220-grain Sierra BTSP and a chamber pressure of 35,000. It carries 1000 foot-lbs out to 175 yds. I get a little nervous about terminal bullet performance at impact velocities less than 1500 though, and even though it has the 1000 ft-lbs of energy, impact velocity is only ~1250 f/s. That BTSP might just scoot through like a pencil.

That said, if you just wanted to poke paper, that bullet remains supersonic out to 750 yds. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

What a great little cartridge Paul. Well done. :biggthumpup: And the ballistics look impressive too.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Paul Hoskins

No way I'm gonna pull the trigger on any Favorite with any of these cartridges.     ............I'll say it now, "I told you so."   .........Paul H

gitano

:MOGRIN: :end:

Duly noted, Paul.

I'm not sure I am either, but you know me: Sometiomes I just can't resist.

BUT>>> You know it would do nicely on of your hnad-made SS receivers. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Nelsdou

Paul,

Interesting little case, looks similar to 32-30 Rem, although I don't have a pic of a 32-30 at hand to compare it to.  The longer neck would help for a cast "boolit" and the capacity efficient in that application (20 ksi).

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

"Similar" it is Nels, BUT... First, The .32-20 isn't ".32 caliber", and in the rifle I have in original configuration, it's not even the nominal .312". It's not even .308"! It's ~.305" groove diameter. The logic that allows one to get "32 caliber" out of .304" to .306" groove diameter evades, and annoys, me.

I have a .32-20 case. I'll post a SxS picture with this cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here's a picture of the two SxS. The .32-20 has a cast .308" bullet seated.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, back in the old days tolerances weren't so important. The 32/20 is supposed to use a .310 diameter bullet which is actually a 31 caliber. With the 32 rimfire case, an oversize cast bullet or undersize bore/rifling isn't very important since the pressure is so low.     .........Paul H

gitano

Here is a picture that provides a better idea about relative size of thenew cartridge. The .32 Long RF is the chambering of the original barrel of the Favorite I have.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

QuotePaul, back in the old days tolerances weren't so important.
I dunno, Paul. Some of the stuff I've seen was dang precise. However, I'll grant that quality control for mass produced arms like the Model 1915 Favorite was probably not too tightly watched. However, my 'gripe' is not with the particular rifle in question, it's with the NAME of the cartridge in the context of anything CLOSE to its real caliber. .310" is NOT .32 caliber. The true .357" bullet of the .38 Special is NOT .38 caliber except by name. The .429" or .430" bullet of the .44 Magnum is NOT ".44 caliber" except by name. And so on.

There's only one good answer to the "why" question, and it is "marketing". Which, when viewed with unjaundiced eye, can mean nothing other than exaggeration for sake of misleading someone (a buyer) into thinking the cartridge was bigger (more macho) than it really was. I'm sorry. I just CAN'T gag ANY excuse down for that behaviour. I can't. Lying is lying no matter how it is dressed up, rationalized, or excused.

This is precisely why I am spending what little effort I am in trying to get a reasonable name for the cartridge made from the .357 Max case. In a truth, any name that has ".32" in the front will be confusing, not because of what this cartridge is, but because of all the liars that preceded it. I think the only "good" name is going to be something with 8mm in the lead, like 8x41R, or 8x41x125. The only way to get a "good" .32 caliber name will be to include the final "3" in the designation, like .323x41R, or .323-125-1950, etc.

Firearms nomeclature always elevates my blood pressure, because too much of it is just fundamentally - at it's heart - either egotistical or dishonest. Grrr... :frown

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

That's kind of like the .223" caliber. You can load from the 218 Bee to the 225 Winchester all using a .223 bullet.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

At least all of those "round" to .22. How do you get to .38 from .357", or .32 from .310",or .44 from .429"? :frown

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: