BSA Martini .22 LR

Started by gitano, June 02, 2009, 09:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

With the trade of the Unertl 'scope for this BSA Martini .22 LR, I have now completed the TCR-83 trade.

It's not actually a "thing of beauty", but it is a functioning rifle with a 'pristine' bore. It's a bit beat up from my perspective, but I'm not familiar with the condition most of these rifles are in these days. I'm not sure what's "original" and what's not, but all the pieces are British-made. The other fella probably got a better deal cost-wise, but I got another Martini, and more importantly, I got a rifle that I like for a 'scope that was essentially useless to me.

The pictures are of marginal quality, but here's what it look likes:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Paul,

Looks mighty good to this ol' country boy!:bowdown: :bowdown:

Some lite cracks in the butt stock but those are easily repairable, and you how to do that.  Anytime you can trade a not wanted scope for a functioning rifle is always a good deal.  Good on ya!:biggthumpup:

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteIt's not actually a "thing of beauty", but it is a functioning rifle with a 'pristine' bore.

"Beauty" is usually a matter of perspective.  Some want graceful lines, and a "new" appearance.

Others can appreciate function and some honest wear.  

It looks mighty fine to me!  Congrat's on the new rifle.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Thanks fellas. It satisfied the criteria I have on "deals": "The only "good" deal is one in which both parties are happy."

It does shoot too. I haven't checked it for precision, but it loads and fires appropriately. I'm not worried about precision in a .22 RF rifle that has a pristine bore.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Nice shooter Paul. You're like me, doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it shoots.

Are you going to try some of your subsonic rounds in there? I'll bet they will shoot very well. That would be a hoot to shoot sagerats with :biggthumpup:

Soooo. . . . .

When ya comin' down. I've got a place all picked out!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

To me, it's a thing of rare beauty. I just fell in love with that rifle......love at first sight. I would like to know how you guys repair minor cracks like that....I'm all ears.  Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

QuoteAre you going to try some of your subsonic rounds in there? I'll bet they will shoot very well.
I will certainly give them a whirl, but I have less optimism aboutthe outcome than you do.

[/SIZE]
QuoteThat would be a hoot to shoot sagerats with
I agree. I'd like to try some long range stuff - say 200 or so - and see what I could do with it. Of course that's assuming it shoots well in the first place.

[/SIZE]
QuoteWhen ya comin' down. I've got a place all picked out!!
As soon as I can work it out. You'll be the second to know. ;)

[/SIZE]
QuoteTo me, it's a thing of rare beauty. I just fell in love with that rifle......love at first sight.
Well, you know how I feel about Martinis, Rick. I prefer the earliest ones without the "ears", and it'd be nice if it was a "big bore", but I'm tickled with it. I hope it shoots straight. I'm really busy at the moment, so I'll tell you later how I would fix those cracks if I was so inclined.

Paul[/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Paul, you seem to land on your feet as far as deals on guns.
That is a beauty and anything that is in good nick from that era is a real find.
Remember, people tended not to value English guns that weren't Purdeys or H&H or other of the elite crowd.
It's hardly surprising to see something like that sitting in the "well used" categories.
But Martinis, as you already know, are fun and often shoot like all get out.
I'm looking forward to a full and comprehensive range report. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

QuoteI'm looking forward to a full and comprehensive range report.
I don't know about the "full and comprehensive", but I've got some CBs, Shorts, "regular velocity" Longs, high velocity Longs, and the SSSs, and since I can shoot these in my back yard without much trouble, I should be able to get something done in the next day or two. My doubts about the SSSs are a function more of where I live than the rifle. I've just not been able to get them to shoot from any of the 7 or 8 .22 rifles I have. The 10/22 required a special 1:10 (IIRC) twist barrel. Since some other folks can get these bullets to stabilize in their 1:16 twist rifles, I think it's a combination of altitude and temperature. Anyway, we'll know soon.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Thats a great little rifle Paul, of course the proof is in the shooting.
A great trade for something you had no use for.

I can remember years ago those BSA Martini target rifles being sold off quite cheaply. Of course I should have bought a couple back then. Ah, the ignorance of youth! :Banghead:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Thanks guys.

I have seen several of these "tricked out" with new stocks, new bluing, new sights, etc. and they are very 'pretty'. The ones I have seen were all going for more than $1000 - some, considerably more than $1000. The "stock" ones, like this one, I've seen in $600 range. I like that this one is all "stock", at least as far as I can tell. I'm just fine with the "deal".

Maybe I'll get a chance to run some rounds through it tomorrow.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

There is a graceful simplicity about them in their original form.
If you can oil-finish the timber and freshen up the original bluing as I have seen them done they are truly lovely pieces.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I'm sitting here drooling & taking that gun apart & converting it to another 17 Rem. or 223. Especially if it is the thick walled variety which it appears to be. I have all the tooling for boring out the threads in the reciever & rethreading it to 13/16-16 threads. Thats what I did with the only thick wall Martini I own. Made a new stock & rebarrelled it with a new takeoff Rem. 700 barrel. ......If this is actually a thick wall action, I have on hand a well used but nice stock & fore end piece that will probably fit.  It has a steel butt plate tho. With refinishing and fore end checkering recut it would be really nice. No cracks in it anywhere.   ..........Paul H

buffalo bob

beauty is in the design.  cosmetics can be fixed easily.  

gitano

If you look at the 6th picture in the sequence Paul, you can see the top of the receiver and the barrel as it enters the receiver. The walls look "thick" to me, but I don't know what "thick" is in this case. The barrel itself is what I would refer to as a "bull" barrel for a .22 RF.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: