Nikon scope comparisons

Started by JaDub, September 19, 2009, 10:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Being on a pretty tight budget...........

I`m looking at a Nikon Pro Staff 4x9x40  at $170 or a Nikon Buckmaster same specs for $220.  Any takers on opinions ??  I`d much rather spend less than more however I`m open for suggestions.   I plan on mounting it on a Stevens .223....  chasing sage rats etc. with an occasional coyote thrown in.  Your thoughts??  :biggthumpup:

davidlt89

JaDub,
I have used both. I had a buckmasters on a 30-06 once and it was a good scope, good clarity. I now have a prostaff on my .243 and I find it just as good. Now depending on what prostaff you are looking for, I have an all camo one, new in box, for sale for less than 170.00 and that includes shipping. the regular matte black is even cheaper, they are both 3-9x40. it has just been sitting in my basement for a few months. Can't go wrong in my opinion with either scope! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

I had one and sold it. My Nikon Buckmaster was very heavy. You can pick up a Burris 3-9-40 with the ballistic plex reticle and get a free spotting scope for under $200. I think Burris makes the finest moderately priced scopes on the market. They have as much low light gathering ability as a very expensive Leupold based on our hands on field tests done 2 or 3 years ago. I posted a thread on this subject that you can look up in the archives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burris-Fullfield-ll-3-9x40mm-Rifle-Scope-NEW-Balistic_W0QQitemZ170384298490QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27abb211fa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2268wt_928

Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

JaDub,

I really don't think you could go wrong with either the Nikon(lower priced) or the Burris. For the money they are hard to beat and the quality(IMO) is there. Given reasonable care in the field they should last you for your hunting career.

If you get the chance you might take a look at the Simmon's scopes. Their quality has really gone up in the last year or so. I personally have given up on variable scopes and gone to the straight power 6X on my personal rifles but thats just me. Definitely look at the Burris Signature rings to mount that scope. Once again, IMO, they are the best buy for the "bucks"!

Good hunting!

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

JaDub

Thanks as always for your thoughts. I ended up getting a Leapers Accushot 4 x 16 x 44 with Mil Dot together with gun mounts and rings for $210 which included shipping. Reviews said the clarity and light transmittal was comparable to the Nikon Buckmaster. Lifetime warranty, 1" tube, etched cross hairs etc. . Thanks to Mike Beberniss at B&A Optics in Dennison, Ia. for the help. Mike`s given me great advice over the years as well as setting me up with numerous great optics. His honesty is refreshing.

Varmints are in for a bad day soon! JaDub

davidlt89

Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: