Gun butt recoil absorbers

Started by Kit, January 04, 2005, 03:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kit

I'm curious about the qualities of various pouch-like recoil pads (or whatever they are called) that I began to see the other day.  My experience with shoe inserts should apply - there is a huge difference in materials and actual shock-padding effect!

Can a simple pad be made to wear on or in one's shirt or jacket?  Would leather do - and what should it look like or be filled with?

I recall the safety instructor having something on hand but don't recall what it was made of.

...Dogs got me up and I can't get back to sleep but I have to admit I'm being lazy on my research time here; so thanks if you can humor me with your wisdom instead of me searching this out!  :o
 thanks
 ~Kit

Antler3

Kit, they do make shirts with the pads built in. I been thinking about getting one for turkey season. Last year i bought a 3 inch mag. 12 gauge turkey gun with an extra full choke. I called in a longbeard and knocked him down, he jumped and ran and so did I ha ha . On the run I pulled up and shot again, this time taking him. But in the excitement I didn't get the ol' shotgun in my shoulder good and ended up with a huge black and blue bruise .... ouch !
ANTLER 3

RatherBHuntin

They also make strap on pads that fit on the shoulder.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Shotgunhemi

Ive got a past recoil pad. I think the picture above is labelled the wrong way because my past recoil rifle shield looks exactly like the shotgun one except its grey. It works really well, no sore shoulder after a long day at the range:D

Chris
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Daniel in Ak

Well an inexpensive pad that I used were diapers........yeah laugh all you want,but I useed them when I was target shooting or sighting in a rifle.Not to long ago I wish I had a case of em when I shot my .338wm twenty times because my partner said I aint no Marine unless I can shoot that rifle ten times,well buddl Im twice the marine shooting it 20 times,and that poor army boy shot it 5 times and gave up hahahaha!
Honestly tho,I have used diapers.Other than that I dont used pads at all.If Im going to hunt cold weather I'll wear a think winter coat(which acts as a pad) also.
You know I had a horse kick me a time or two and a certain person mule(ahem! I wont mention azkiotes name) tried gettin me and he did step on my foot,darn rascal,anyhow maybe I ought to patent padded horse shoes.Think I can get Godyear as a sponser for that?

CAfrica

I have a recoil pad that is simply a square, about the size a a packet of 30 sigarettes, that fits inside my shooting jacket.  You buy it with a velcro strip that you sow inside your jacket and the pad just hangs off it.  The nice thing is you can take it out whenever you want to.

I use it only on the range and remoive it when I am in the field.

The little square seems to be some high density foam inserted into a poket of material.  It works really well.

C

drinksgin (deceased)

Kit;
Check with a hardware store or gun shop, several companies make recoil pads that just slip on the butt like a sock, this does have the problem of lengthening the stock length, but the wearable pads do too.
Not to be sexist, but many women have shorter arms than men,[ I am only 5'6" and have a length of pull of 12 3/4 " so I share the problem].
The stock can be cut off, I did so for my mother, 5'0", and my sister, 5'2", so they could comfortably shoot.
If the stock is too long, you do not mount the gun into the correct position on your shoulder for the proper sight picture and to have the butt in the proper position for you to take the recoil with the least discomfort.
Have some one help you determine your pull length and, if needed, shorten the stock for you .
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: