.222 Rem and AR2206H

Started by branxhunter, November 09, 2009, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

Like Brithunter I too have been developing up and testing some loads for my .222 Remington - in my case an Anschutz 1530-34. As I noted in BH's thread I am using the ADI powder AR2206H as from the loading handbook it also can be used in the .243Win.

All my loading is done with a Super Simplex 5/8" press, RCBS powder thrower and Redding powder scale. I have noticed that the powder sometimes "sticks" in the thrower - possibly die to the cut sticks hanging up. Looks like tapping the thrower and weighing each charge will be required to ensure consistency and avoid a disaster.

I have already tested some 50gr softpoint loads which have shown some promise. This rifle seems to shoot the factory Remington Express 50gr PSP loads quite well so thought that was a good place to start. The results of those loads have already been uploaded to BH's thread.

The photos below show the results of the 40gr v-max loads. The 23.0gr loads looks pretty sweet. I still have four 24.0gr loads to shoot but will be hard to beat the 23.0gr results.

All shots were taken at 120m using a bipod and home-made sand bag under the butt, set up over a table I dragged out into the paddock.

Marcus

Brithunter

Branxhunter it's looking good :) .
Go Get them Floyd!

Fieldmor77

Patience pays, and there's your proof, sweet groups Branxhunter!.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Didn't need a ruler......Just plain outstanding. More, more, more!!! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

22hornet

Are you loading 23gns of 2206H or 28gns?
One of your pics says 28gns?

Anyway, good shooting!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

branxhunter

Hornet, it  must be my handwriting - it is 23.0 grains. I don't think 28 grains would fit!

branxhunter

My previous testing indicated that for the 40 grain v-max projectiles the loads utilising 23.0 and 23.5 grains of AR2206H looked the most promising, so I loaded another 4 cases for each and shot at 100m on the weekend to confirm- at around 5/8" looks like the 23.0 grain load is the one!

Continued to test some loads for 50 grain Remington PSPs - will report when completed all the loads. I noticed boxes of Nosler 50 and 55 grain SPs in the local shop for $AUS19 per 100, which is the cheapest .224 projectiles I have seen. Has anyone had experience with them?

Marcus

22hornet

Quote from: Branxhunter;99570I noticed boxes of Nosler 50 and 55 grain SPs in the local shop for $AUS19 per 100, which is the cheapest .224 projectiles I have seen. Has anyone had experience with them?

Are these the Nosler "SHOTS"? You can also get them in H.P. I have heard the HP's shoot very well. I don't know about the SP's.

Good to see that you have found a great load.

As ADI have discontinued 2206 I now have to work out a load for my .223 using 2206H now.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Tags: