Ahhh a BSA Hunter .222 Rem

Started by Brithunter, November 23, 2009, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well I feel a bit better even though the bank account is a lot lighter :shy: as I went over to the gunclub's shop and paid the remaining amount and picked up the BSA Hunter that he had been holding for me.

The Hunter was BSA's first own design introduced in 1953, this particular rifle is of 56 vintage, it has a mini modified Mauser action including a full length Mauser type extractor with integral dovetails machined into the action similar to the magnum Mauser's. The magazine it seems only takes 3 rounds and it seems to have a short throat as I tried the split neck case with a 55 gr Balistic Tip in it and it's a lot shorter than those rounds that I recently loaded for the Baikal MH18 which seems to indicate little wear to the throat.

OK this one has some wear to the finish and a couple of compression marks in the stock and the front sling swivel has been stripped and a stud fitted a little behind it. Pretty standard for the slim schnable fore end on these early BSA's.

I have given the barrel a wipe through not much to remove there :) but I need to remove the stock and clean under it and remove the built up dust etc. Oh and I searched through my BSA bits and found a proper fore sight blade to replace the bit of plastic someone had put in the ramp. Have also fitted one of the early Nikko Sterling Special 4x32 scopes in a set of alloy rings. Not P-H ones I might add as I didn't want to try and remove the recoil stud for the front ring in teh RALS3 rings I have on hand and this BSA has only a recoil stud hole in the rear bridge.

Photos will follow tomorrow once I get some taken that is :) .
Go Get them Floyd!

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Hunterbug

Since I have a "duece" I want to see them all!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi kombi,

Yes I am happy :D been looking for one for a long while, in good condition that is, Ok it's needs a little TLC as the magazien floor plate has some rust spots on it and the alloy trigger guard the anodising has worn so the silver is showing through. I will going to see Lewis Potter the gunsmith and gunmaker in the not too distant future so will take it with me for him to have a look over and discuss about an overhaul and restoration to bring it back to pristine like new condition finish wise.

The bolt face shows a little wear and I will get his opinion on it as well but chambering a factory Sako cartridge it's snug and requires just a tiny bit of effort to close the bolt fully so there is no excessive head space.

The weather here is horrid very damp and grey but I took a few photos in the conservatory of the rifle:-

Hmmm you can see the thinning of the finish on the barrel. It's just wear and tear.

Rear sight is missing as is the fore sight hood. I will keep my eyes open for them.

Sorry about the Fuzz :o I still cannot get the hang of Mothers camera but you can see the wear to the black anodising and the bluing worn off the bolt handle ball.

With the Nikko Sterling Special 4x32 scope. Oh yes that's a full length extractor of the Mauser claw type. A .222 with controlled round feeding.

With the new Simmons prohunter "Master Series" 3-10x44. A review of this new Chinese made Simmons will follow once I put it on another rifle that I am familar with :2thumbsup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

branxhunter

Classy rifle BH. As usual you have found a good looking piece of gear. I must admit I am a sucker for a nicely shaped and figured timber stock, particularly with a schnabnel fore-end. I think they look a lot sleeker than the club-like fore-ends that you see on some rifles. And being a .222 I am really looking forward to see how it shoots.

BTW, how do you slit your case mouths to enable a projectile to be inserted when measuring the OAL?

Brithunter

Ahhhh Branxhunter,

QuoteBTW, how do you slit your case mouths to enable a projectile to be inserted when measuring the OAL?
[/COLOR]  

Carefully with a Junior Hack saw then deburr with a swiss file. Of course one could use a cut off wheel in a dremel but I find the Junior Hacksaw method works and it's quicker than breaking the Dremmel out :greentongue: .

:( Sorry no shooting report as the Police have put it on my licence for collection only.  The .243 I have on for Deer and vermin i.e Fox. I can still shoot my Baikal MH18 in 222 of course and I have some ammo I loaded waiting to test but as I discovered when checking the OAL for the BSA the MH18 likes a longer loaded cartridge so I doubt firing them would be a good idea through the BSA as the bullets would be jammed into the rifling and that's likely to produce more pressure as I understand it.

I have made notes in my Handloading records so when I swop the rifles round and get this one listed for shooting I will know this. I already have some Lapua brass that I will keep just for the BSA :biggthumpup: Hmmm that reminds me I must look it out and find where I put it away :shy: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Doh it seems I didn't check properly and my Hunter is not a Hunter at all but a Regent so the hunt, pun intended :greentongue: , is still on for a Hunter.

Hmmm perhaps I should look for a .22 Hornet then :undecided: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Blackjack

Hello B.H. Kevin,
Can you take a birds-eye close-up photograph of the rear dovetail with the recoil hole on your B.S.A. "Regent" .222 Rem Rifle. My early B.S.A. "HUNTER" .222 Rem, does not have a recoil hole in the rear dovetail, and I need a photograph to show my Gun-Smith, so that he can mill a hole. Also any measurments  would help.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike [The Limey]

Brithunter

Ok I Will see what I can do for you. Thought I had some but it appear that I don't.

Have you got rings to fit?

If not let me know the scope size and tube size and I'll see what I have here. I buy them when I see them reasonably priced JIC.

I will also get out and photograph the Meopta Prepov 3x scope..
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Nice rifle!

For a rifle of its age, it looks pretty good to me. I love the classic lines.

Too bad you can't shoot it yet.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

SWEEEEET!!

One can never have to many triple deuces. I'd like to find another heavy barreled 788, but unless I find someone that doesn't know what they have, it'll be like buying a new one.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

22hornet

That is one cool looking rifle BH!
If I could find one here........give me a convincing argument that I could win against my wife. :cry:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Blackjack

Hello BH Kevin,

I do have Pairs of "Vintage" P.H. Scope Mounts, problem is they are the small ring size ones, and of the windage adjustable type, brand new in their boxes. I also have the same boxed pairs but these are the 26.5 rings! I have never seen a scope with a 26.5 tube. The fixed or Windage adjustable P.H. 1inch and or 26 mm scope mounts are as rare as hens teeth if you ask me. The other problem is the 19mm dovetails on the B.S.A. Rifles. P.M. me some time and I will telephone you. Take care in the ice & snow.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

Brithunter

Blackjack,

Will send Pm after posting this. Now I currently have the following P-H rings on hand:-

RALS-3  (1") .......................... 4 pairs of them

RAHS-3 (1") ........................... 2 pairs

RALS-4 (26mm) ..................... 1 pair

RAHS-4 (26mm) ..................... 1 pair with no recoil studs :oops:

Also have a couple of sets for the 17mm dovetails:-

3901G (1") ............................. 1 pair

RBH-3 (1") ............................. 1 pair

Now if you wish to swop a pair of those 26.5mm windage adjustable rings for one of my sets your quite welcome. They will fit into my little collection nicely and I can probably utilise them with some shims to hold a Pecar I am just having re-furbished. As the steel tube needs re-bluing I doubt I'll get it all back before Christmas now but the scope will be shipped off for inspection and quote on Saturday or Monday depending on how much time I can get.
Go Get them Floyd!

Blackjack

hello Brithunter {Kevin}

Any chance of those photo's of the rear dovetail on your B.S.A. .222 Rem "Regent". I need a birds-eye view of the milled recoil hole.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

Tags: