Range report.. 25-06

Started by Brithunter, December 06, 2009, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi all,

Took the P-H 1200C to the clubs range this afternoon and shot all but one of the factory rounds. First shot the Federal Premium 100 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. This ammunition didn't do too well on my "Field test" on Saturday. I shot a 10 round group that went 2 3/8" left :eek: and about 1" above POA. The group is rather dissapointing at 1.912" wide and 1.750" high. What is confusing is that 4 shots make one elongated hole yet the other 6 shots are scattered :eek: . After a slight scope adjustment  I shot the final 4 rounds for a group and it produced a group of 1.097" wide by 1.017" high :shy: now although this is very usable accuracy remember this is at 75 Metres (82 yards) not a full 100 yards.

I next tried the more promising Sako 117 Gr Game Head from Saturday's trial. I fired a 3 shot group and was again dissapointed with a group of 1.236" high by 1.034" wide. After allowing the rifle to cool right down I put a freah target up and shot a 10 round group of 1.700" high by 1.615" and again there is a tight group of 4 holes touching in about the same place as the one with the 100 rain bullet :confused: .

It will require some more testing but I am wondering if there is an underlying bedding issue. I twill be a couple of weeks before I can do any more testing as I have one round left and I cannot afford to buy more for a while :no: .

Photos of the targets to follow once it's light enough to take them.
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Well here are the photos of the targets form Sunday's range trip:-

This is the 10 round group with the Federal Premium 100 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tip. You can see what I mean about poor and the small cluster in one palce with the rest scattered. I then shot the last four rounds into this group:-

Next up was the sako 117 Gr Game Head:-

Again I was not best pleased but tried a 10 round group:-

and yet again in the spread is a tight cluster and it's in about the same place in the group. What is confusing to me is that on Saturday it did much better from tha same boxes of ammunition. Of course we cannot rule out that I am the problem :cry: .
Go Get them Floyd!

22hornet

Did you clean the bore between groups? How hot did the barrel get?

If you get the chance, try Noslers 85gn Ballistic tips. If your rifle is shooting well, they won't let you down.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Brithunter

Right in answer to your questions:-

QuoteDid you clean the bore between groups?
Nope I cleaned and de-coppered it last night finishing off this afternoon. I can now so no copper in the bore. The rifle had fired a total 39 rounds and I did clean the bore before shooting it but I did not use a copper remover.

QuoteHow hot did the barrel get?
Only warm.

QuoteIf you get the chance, try Noslers 85gn Ballistic tips.
I will be trying several bullet weights once I get the dies and cases.

Now I don't know about you but my thoughts are that a rifle should not need cleaning after only 40 rounds. I ususally cleana rifle after a range session especially in our damp winters and now I live here as I have found some rust spots which I never had a problem with when I lived down south :frown .
Go Get them Floyd!

22hornet

Quote from: Brithunter;100470Now I don't know about you but my thoughts are that a rifle should not need cleaning after only 40 rounds.  .

I agree. I used to clean the bore of my rifles after every walk while out on a hunt. That could be 8 to 10 times per hunting trip!
Now I only clean the bore at the end of the trip or if the bore gets wet or debris in it.

And it doesn't make any difference to the accuracy either!

The things you learn.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Brithunter

Ok I am not feeling good this today, in a lot of pain and discomfort :stare: seems I have upset the old whiplash injury again, anyway I got to thinking and decided to do some scope swopping about :eek: so looking at my collection and what I am not using, or rather not allowed to use :Banghead: , and what was more suitable to this P-H 1200C I came to the conclusion that the Pecar 3-7x36 with Duplex reticle would probably work well on it and as the Pecars have a long body tube the eye relief should be OK :biggthumpup: .

So using the collimeter I took a reading and made a note of it for the 1200C and took the Simmons Air Gun scope off it but I didn't take a reading for the BSA 270 Stutzen as I can re-sight that in when it is required as I cannot recall what ammunition it was sighted in for anyway :shy: and put the Pecar on the 25-06 and adjusted it to the reading taken earlier.

That was the easy part as then the problems began :Banghead: I thought I would put that 6x42 on the BSA CF2 Stutzen but of course cannot get the correct eye relief :( (long action) so put it aside scopeless whilst I turned to the BSA Hunter although it's sighted in it has the wrong mounts on it so whilst I had the stuff out it was time to put the proper mounts on it.

Now these are dovetailed to take the P-H rings and although I have some they are the low ones and of course the modern design on the new Simmons Pro Hunter meant it fouled the barrel with the objective bell. Finding another set of medium or highs is going to be troublesome so again I looked at what I have on hand. Now I have a P-H one piece mount but the recoil stud was in the wrong place so out to the workshop to press the studs out and swop it round then rob the rings off my Majestic Featherweight  .270 as that had medium rings on it and again taking collimeter readings put the rings on the .222 and put the Simmons back on it.

The one piece mount fits the Majestic fine and it now wears the 6x42 scope as the Lisenfeld 3-9x42 has a metric tube and won't go in the one piece mount. The rings it was in were P-H 26mm ones but they didn't close up properly and had large gaps between the cap and base but they fit the Simmons fine :) . So the Lisenfeld was destined for the .270 Stutzen but the Hilver mounts were 1" so it would not fit however in my drawer I had the Hilver lever operated Q/D rings and bases for them to fit the action so I swopped the whole mounting system over :greentongue: . Then put the Simmons Air gun scope back on the BSA Supersport Five.

So now I have to check the zero on the 25-06 once I get some more ammunition,  load some ammunition and zero the .270 Majestic ( I am out of the 130 Grn Nosler Solid Base bullets now :( ) and check the .222 BSA for zero now the mounts are changed.

The Pecar has shown it's good on the .270 so it should perfom well on the 25-06 and it will not require constant re-focussing to see the target or beast at different distances unlike the target orientated Simmons does.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Quoteand it will not require constant re-focussing to see the target or beast at different distances unlike the target orientated Simmons does.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
This is a good point. As I have said before, I have three of the Simmons Masters with the third turret for "parallax" adjustment. (Really it's just moving the focus from the bell to a turret.) The truth of the matter is, for a hunting 'scope, it's a bit of a hassle having to refocus the thing. If you shoot more paper than hair it's a "good thing", but otherwise, I like a fixed focus 'scope.

If you (the editirial 'you') can get your hands on a good 'old' 'scope, you'll find that for most circumstances, they are 'just fine' for shooting both 'hair' and paper.

This subject is akin to the 'accuracy' one being discussed on the "Exponding on groups" thread.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhh Gitano,

I have noticed that it seems the fashion to have these adjustable Parallax features. This Pecar I have had for years, too many to recall now :shy: , just having a varible is enough for me to play with thank you :greentongue: . Now if I could have found one I would have put a fixed scope on it. 6x42, 7x50 or an 8x56 but I have to use what I have for now. Meanwhile I am starting re-loading again. Replenishing the stock of :-

.222 rem
.270 Win
7x57 Mauser
6.5x55 Swedish.

Starting with the .222 so I can zero the scope in it's new mounts followed by the .270.
Go Get them Floyd!

22hornet

Quote from: Brithunter;100504I thought I would put that 6x42 on the BSA CF2 Stutzen .

BH, are you able to post a pic of this rifle? I don't believe I have seen this one.

Brithunter

Quote from: 22hornet;100522BH, are you able to post a pic of this rifle? I don't believe I have seen this one.

:huh:  you mean you've never been subjected to photos of this one :eek:  Oh well look out for the post on it :antlers: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: