San Diego County Feral Pig

Started by TackyDriver, June 14, 2010, 04:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

The following was taken from THL Facebook :

There's been word of increasing Feral Pig  populations in San Diego County in and around the Cleveland National  Forest. I'm going to contact the Park Rangers in the Palomar and  Descanso districts to get some maps and other info. Believe it or not,  hunting is actually being encouraged as a management tool. There's a lot of private and Tribal Reservation land so good  maps and nav skills will be important. More later.

In response to Erik's question about where to sign up:
Hey Erik
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreation/hunting/palomardisthunt.shtml
You can contact  the ranger district station at the phone # on the link and they'll  email you information. Out of state hunting license is $144.65 and a Non  Resident Pig Tag is $66.70. Year round season and no bag limit. I've  learned that the best times are in the Fall around acorn drop or Spring (After most  of the rainfall but before high temps make them more nocturnal). The  Rangers were very helpful. They are supposed to be willing to share info  on sightings, etc.

In response to Erik's comment about how steep the fees are:
Resident fees are much lower: $41.50 for license & pig tag is  $19.95. The pig tags are actually meant for census purposes, at least  for where & when they were harvested. I'm guessing that elements of  our State Govt have a bad attitude toward resident hunters so  nonresident ones would add to their "problems." Temporary nonresident  licenses, though much cheaper, don't permit hunting of big game  species. IMHO, in a government bureaucracy it's possible that one hand  is either unaware or unconcerned with what the other is trying to do.

Also, thanks to Jamie for the kind wishes.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Vermonster

Well, I happen to live in San Diego, and have hunted the elusive pig out here.  Truth be told, I WOULD NOT make plans to hunt for them here, unless you want to try and combine it with a deer hunt.  That way you could have a chance of at least getting something.  There have not been too manny succesful reports yet, and believe me, we are looking for them.  The figure the population is 300-500, but they have no real clue, since the terrain is really really tough with lots of brush, plus lots of private land.

In time, it could really be a good place, but for now, it's really really crowded with hunters, mainly here because of these articles........  I know the only way I think I'd get one is by running into one while deer hunting this fall, or possibly turkey in the spring......

TackyDriver

I hear what you're saying. Still and all, since I have to spend a fair amount of time in San Diego county anyway, it's a good excuse to go out into some beautiful country. I'll be scouting for now and developing my wilderness nav skills, especially with all of the private and tribal lands. I promise that if I find any "secret spots" of yours, I'll have amnesia. The local news makes it sound like I'd have a better chance of hitting one with my car. :)

Vermonster

Quote from: TackyDriver;106530 I promise that if I find any "secret spots" of yours, I'll have amnesia.

:laugh:

You don't want to find my "secret spots" anyway. I have not shot a deer in 8 years, never shot a pig, and would have died many times over if my survival was dependant on my hunting skills..... :grin:

Now, if you do find any "secret spots" and want to let me know where they are, I'm all for that...... :antlers:

TackyDriver

Quote from: Vermonster;107514:laugh:
Now, if you do find any "secret spots" and want to let me know where they are, I'm all for that...... :antlers:

Sad to say but I haven't been able to get out and scout yet since I first wrote. We're still trying to figure if we can afford to build a new house or just tow in some trailers onto our lot. I still want to go, though. I have a new pig tag and am just hoping to take advantage of any lulls. Now I promise you that, if I find a secret spot, I'll get you to come see to help figure if it's truly secret.:biggthumpup:

Vermonster

Tags: