I need another 10/22...

Started by gitano, March 13, 2011, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Fellas,

I'm building a special rifle, and want to use the 10/22 action. I'm having a devil-of-a-time finding anything that isn't stupidly priced up here in AK. (Things that look like they were dragged 10 miles behind a truck on a gravel road have asking prices of $250.) If you know of anyone that wants to part with a used 10/22 in the neighborhood of $150, let me/them know. I'd even let them keep the barrel and stock to sell separately on EBay. I just want the action.

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

Sorry, can't help ya. They are "stupid" about them around here too.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

gitano

Thanks, LvrLover. There are some going for $155 to $175 (used) on the auction sites, but after I pay 40 for shipping and 10 for transfer, I'm up over 200 again. New ones can be had for $200 before shipping and transfer. I may have to break down and do that.

I like Rugers, but one thing that really annoys me about them, is their unwillingness to sell receivers and actions. No No. 1s, no 10/22s.

There are sites where I could get an "80%" receiver for $130. No FFL required, and I could finish the machining myself. Sounds like a great idea until you start looking for "the rest of it". After all is said and done, that "cheap" receiver turns into a $350 action.

I haven't looked at new ones at Walmart. Maybe I can find one for near $200. If I can, I can sell the barrel and stock on EBay and get the price for a new action down to about $160. Still crazy considering it's a cast aluminum block filled with stamped parts.

"The things we do for love..."

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

When you start looking for the most popular SA 22 ever made, you better be ready to pony up! I will check dutifully in the area. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

I'll hit  NW Pawn Shop today on my way through town. I got called in to work. It seems "some one drove my servicetruck" over the weekend and "the engine is in pieces"

:MOGRIN:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Thanks, fellas.

Paul

By the way... I was looking for a Ruger 44 Carbine for many years. They show up now and then at the auction sites, but not too often and often pretty spendy. One of those was the last thing I expected to find in a local pawn shop. Walked into a pawn shop day-before-yesterday and he had TWO. He ticked me off when I asked him about his 10/22, so I didn't even ask how much he wanted for the .44s.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

The deed is done. Parted with $222 for a factory new (built on December 6, 2010) blue steel and brown wood rifle. I'll sell the stock and barrel for what I can get for them. Couldn't get an action for much less than that I'm afraid. If I had hunted around, maybe could have gotten on for $50 less, but still would have had to pay shipping and transfer fees. I'll get over it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup:good that you found one........ now what's ya up too
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

I found a source of 10/22 barrels with 1:9 twist. That twist rate shoots the Aguila 60-grain SSS with no worry about gyroscopic stability, AND it wasn't the $250 that Volquartsen wants for theirs, when they deign to make them. This one is blued, 16" long and threaded at the muzzle for 1/2x28. My business is working on getting a license to develop moderators ("silencers"). This rifle will shoot the SSSs quietly. I doubt there will be much more than the sound of the action cycling.

Before anyone asks... I don't have anything particular in mind. I just like "quiet" shooting. Especially plinking. Also, this lets me 'semi-retire' my vintage (1970) rifle. It's getting old enough that it's "collector" value warrants special treatment. It'll still get shot, but it won't get dropped behind the seat of a PU while rabbit hunting any more. The 'new one' can become the 'truck gun'.

I'll post some pictures when I have it assembled, (but before I build the moderator, as that will take some time to get through the gov't red tape).

You can see the barrels here:
http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1682

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Hello Paul. That looks like a very good price for an ER Shaw barrel. I like the one in nine twist too. I have been thinking about trying the heavier bullets....what works? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Hey Rick,

The only heavier bullet I know of for RF is the Aquila SSS. Several people I know, (drinksgin among them), say they have no problem shooting them from their 1:16 barrels. I have tried them in every .22 RF I have (about a dozen or so) and I can't get the SSS to stabilize in a single one. I THINK the reason is that I shoot in "thick" air - 150' ASL and usually not warmer than 50F. Regardless of the reasons, SSSs from my rifles tumble.

Because I 'love' that bullet - it hit like A TON OF BRICKS - I spent $150 a few years back on a Volquartsen 1:9 barrel (on sale from $250 :eek:) just so I could shoot them. That barrel however, has a "swell" in front of the forearm, and I REALLY don't want to mess with that by threading it. This ER Shaw bbl was just the ticket, and not a bad price.

Be advised that the SSS is no 'downstream' bullet. It goes through bunnies like a hot knife through butter. If not hit in the head, they are likely to run 10 or 15 feet before expiring. However, when I first shot this  bullet from my standard 1:16 10/22 bbl, at 25 yd it when THROUGH a half inch of Hardy Panel Siding AND A 2X6 - SIDEWAYS! Needless to say, I WAS impressed!

In my opinion, the best use of this bullet is precision headshots for 'small' game, and right on the money for something like a coyote, or woodchucks or, 'coons, foxes (that fox I shot earlier this winter was taken with the SSS from the Volquartsen barrel - he ran about 10 body lengths), or something in the 10-lb range and larger.

One of the truly "sweet" aspects of 10/22s is the ability to modify them so easily. I believe that is precisely why they are so popular.

Lemme know if you get after one of these barrels. I'd like to know what you think of the SSS.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: