22lr 'hollowpointer'

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 01, 2011, 02:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

as per title!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Did forget to mention home made!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

RatherBHuntin

Are they swaged then, if that is the correct term, just having a dimple pressed into the end or is some of the lead actually removed?  Where did the die come from?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

It swages the hollow-point, have a look at my avatar for a close up.

Die set is my own work here is a pic of the first attempt...
Turvey Stalking

22hornet

Can you post more info on the process? Is the sleeve slide over the cartridge and the HP tool "pressed" home to form the HP?

Great invention but can I ask why, when HP .22's are widely available?

And why hasn't Paul done this already.....:greentongue:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: 22hornet;112867Can you post more info on the process? Is the sleeve slide over the cartridge and the HP tool "pressed" home to form the HP?

Great invention but can I ask why, when HP .22's are widely available?

And why hasn't Paul done this already.....:greentongue:
Basically if you look at the second picture you see from left to right...
Delrin anvil (fits reloading press same as a shell-holder) Next is the actual shell holder - reamed at .224 and undercut for the rimfire rim. Lastly a selection of punches. Not shown is a .38 bullet expander die. (any pistol die with clearance for the top of the punch)
Simply insert the 22 into the shell holder, insert punch in the top of shell holder.
Place assembly onto the delrin anvil (obviously setting the seating die to give desired depth of punch) then pull the lever!!! Extraction was by removing the assembly from the reloading press and pushing the punch down to push the case out.

First die shown post#1 was a 'tidying up' of the idea, An American - Neil Waltz sells one for $170... decided to make it myself.

As to the reason why... not all .22 is hollowpoint, infact I specifically wanted to modify CB longs / shorts. As it turns out I found a supplier of the Aguila SSS which again is not hollowpoint!

Oh yeah.... Paul knows all about this  :laugh:
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Yeah, "Paul definitely knows all about this." ;) This little item is actually how we first met.

One of the reasons j0ebl0ggs is a good friend is that he is yet another "fixer" of the ilk of drinksgin and Paul Hoskins. He's an excellent machinist too. He sent me one of his .22 RF shellholders to use with my hollow pointer. I didn't get mine from Waltz, but mine still cost $90 I think. j0ebl0ggs are considerably better.

As to "why" when there are plenty of HP .22RFs 'out there': There are two reasons. First, as he said, the bullets we want to shoot - in my case the 60-grain SSS - does NOT come in HP configuration, and while it hit's like a ton of bricks, it goes right through 'small' critters like bunnies. HP-ing the SSS MIGHT make it anchor small critters a little better. Second, not only does the die change the point, but it also swages the bullet to uniform diameter. I haven't noticed any measureable improvement in my SSSs, but I haven't tried to actually measure it either.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: