.22 "Rook" Rifle

Started by gitano, May 16, 2011, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

That's how this was described at auction.

Personally, I've never heard of a .22 caliber "Rook" rifle, but then there's a lot I haven't heard of yet. Anyway, I was intrigued by the action.

After test-firing for function, I wanted to see how it shot. Test-firing for performance consisted of 3 shots each at 25 paces with the Aguila SSS

"CBs"

And some Remington "HiVelocity"

As you can see, the SSSs ALL 'key-holed', as usual, from a "regular" 1:16 twist barrel. However, as you can also see, they were the most precise. Actually, I haven't cared too much if the SSSs key-hole, because they hit like the proverbial "ton o' bricks".

The set trigger works very well. There's no 'fast' reloading with this rifle, but fast reloading isn't what I'm "into" anyway. I like the thing.

I've got "big plans" for this rifle. The stock is very interesting as is the trigger guard. I intend to clean it up and reblue it. I of course took it apart into its elemental pieces, and the inside of the buttplate still has case coloring on it. The hammer has been repaired not particularly well. I don't know whether I will fabricate another one or not. I'll stick to "low velocity" (but not CBs) or SSSs in it. I might take it rabbit shooting this coming fall. It is a very neet little gun, and I'm glad I got it for $190 (delivered).

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I couldn't "see" all hr pictures but from what I did see it's a "neat old rifle"

Seems I've heard of Rook rifles som'ers a'for.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

FYI, Paul, correct name is 'Rook and Rabbit Rifle'
That is a pearl you have there, will be real nice when you finish it!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I really think that the seller was being 'creative' with the "Rook" moniker. The more I look at this piece the more Teutonic (Germanic) it looks to me. The cheekpiece is REALLY 'continental' as opposed to "British", and I don't recall seeing a Rook Rifle with a Schnabel fore-end. I am by no means any sort of "expert" on Rook rifles, but this one is at least an odd chambering for a Rook. Most of them I am aware of have .300" bores. j0ebl0ggs tells me that some were even .40 cal. .22 is "strange". Then there are the issues of the stock I mentioned above. The trigger guard as well. While none of these features  are particularly convincing on their own, together they make a pretty good case for this not being a "Rook" or "Rook and Rabbit" rifle.

Not that a name matters much. I just like to get things "straight".

I don't know why you couldn't see all of the pictures, RJ.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

QuoteA Proof Mark Primer, 1891-1939

By Steve Meyer, German Gun Collectors Association
Unravelling the history of a German sporting gun or rifle is often a difficult proposition. With the exception of a few larger makers like J.P.Sauer, Merkel and Krieghoff most records are lost and only the guns themselves bear testimony to the history, workmanship and artistry of German gunsmiths.

Fortunately, one source remains to us, and that is the marks on the guns themselves. Beginning with the first German proof law that came in to effect in the early 1890s, all sporting firearms produced in Germany were required to pass rigorous strength and safety tests at a government regulated proof house. Over the years German proof laws, like those of other European countries, were revised to cover changes in gunpowder, materials and design, and changes in proof law and the marks prescribed can be very helpful in tracing date of manufacture, chambering and originality.

I won't attempt to cover the all ins and outs of German proof law here in detail, but there are a few bits useful for dating that frequently come in handy.

Guns and rifles built in Germany and the German principalities before the 1890s typically did not carry proof marks, but the 1891 proof law 'grandfathered' these arms by mandating that they be submitted to the proof house and marked with a crown-over-V, the V standing for vorrat or 'on hand'. Any German gun or Rifle carrying a crown-over-V dates to 1891 or earlier.

Marks showing crowns over the letters B, U, (proof approved); G (rifled barrel), S (smoothbore) and W (choked barrel) span the period from the first German proof law until 1939, but there are other marks usually present that can narrow the date range greatly.

Rifles marked with only an indication of powder charge and bullet type as shown below date to 1912 or before:

2,67 g GBP
  St m G

These marks show 2,67 grams of Gewehr Blättchen Pulver (military flake powder) and Stahl-mantel Geschoss (steel jacketed bullet). Other possible types are "K m G" for Kupfer-mantel Geschoss (copper jacket) and "Bl G" for Blei Geschoss (plain lead bullet).

After 1912 marks were changed to show just bullet type and bullet weight as in:

St m G
 12 g
usually accompanied with a crown-over-N or the word Nitro, specifying smokeless powder.

j0ebl0ggs provided the above, which pretty much confirms the "Teutonic" origins. Thanks, "joe".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Still ein fein schauen Gewehr und ein schön Warenlager. ICH Liebe die Achteck Faß :greentongue:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Danke.

QuoteICH Liebe die Achteck Faß
Ich auch!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Very interesting piece there Paul.   It`s a new one on me!  Thanks for the show and tell.

Jeff

drinksgin (deceased)

Why do the words "Springfield Trap Door " come to mind?
Suitably Krauted, of course!
I have long longed for one of the elegant, sleek break open Rook Rifles made in England, I saw a number in shops in the '50's and '60's that veterans brought back after the war, mostly traded off due to trouble finding ammo, but most seemed to digest .32 short or long pistol ammo fairly well, some even liked such as .38 Colt or S&W with lead bullets.
By the time I really got serious, the supply had dried up and I have not seen one in at least 35 years

:cry::oops:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

This one is growing on me. (That should surprise no one.) Here are a couple more targets.

This one is with "plain ol' " Remington HPs from a brick of them.

This one is from some Remington Pistol Match.

I'll shoot some more SSSs to see if that first 3-shot group was a fluke. If not, I'll shoot those. If so, I'll still shoot them, :D, but I'll also shoot these "plain" Remingtons.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

"Suitably Krauted".......  Too much!    8-)

drinksgin (deceased)

Surely no one would accuse you of falling in love, or at least lust over a strange firearm!
You would never do THAT.

recoil junky

Quote from: JaDub;113068"Suitably Krauted".......  Too much!    8-)

Falls nur bloss erst Sie kannte Deutsch. Ja mein Herr! :greentongue:

Just trying to get back at my German ancestors.

RJ

gitano

Quotemy German ancestors.
Das erklart vieles!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

A few old timers in Central Texas still use the greeting,"Grus Gott und der Koenig" with each other, that dates to about 1900 or older, I have picked up some, mostly technical  but the most common other language here is Tex -Mex, which is NOT Spanish!
Want to see comedy, let a yankee spanish teacher come to South Texas and try some of her Spain by way of the Bronx on the locals and watch the grins start!

Tags: