Think we need a 'making stuff' thread...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 04, 2012, 03:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Latest project, a Swaging die set to make my own .224 bullets from either 22lr used brass or bought jackets.

Left to right;

De-rim die and punch. (The 'form' is removable as I only wanted to harden that
rather than  the whole die body)

Floating top punch holder.

Core swage (squirt) die. (Bottom punch is in the press - not shown, too lazy to go get it...)

Core seat die.
Core seat hollow point punch.

Point form die.

Reality is cannot afford Corbin's current offerings and do not have a lifetime to wait for delivery!

Hey ho, make your own!

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jamie.270

Wow!  Make your own, so you can make your own!

Totally cool. :)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

It is VERY cool! j0e is no 'downstream' machinist.

I placed an order with Corbin 13 months ago. When earlier this week I asked what the status of that order was, you wouldn't believe - and I MEAN THAT - YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE the response I got.

:lipsrsealed:I'm 'sneaking' up on j0e to make me some 8mm dies.:lipsrsealed: Don't tell 'im.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Being both cheap and impatient, I almost always make my own most everything.
Corbin is noted for being just slightly faster than a glacier, just barely!

:(
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

There were four guys here at THL that could machine what they needed: Jay Edwards, LLANO John (John Talley), drinksgin, and Paul_Hoskins. Now there's another, j0e_bl0ggs. If these fellas can't make it, either you don't need it, or it can't be made.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I think you are moving into a class by your self.
I do want to know, which makes the best reamer, air, water or oil tempered drill rod?
I mostly pore boy it by using grade 8 bolts as stock.
You forgot the actual professional , other than PH, BH.

gitano

I thought about BritHunter, but I didn't know if he was machining these days. He most graciously made a .50 cal. pilot for my RCBS case trimmer, so I should have included him in the list. No intended offence, BH.

We have an innovative and industrious group here at THL. Considering the size of the membership of  THL, I would say it is 'over-achieving'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;120252:lipsrsealed:I'm 'sneaking' up on j0e to make me some 8mm dies.:lipsrsealed: Don't tell 'im.

Paul

No probs, just need to confirm some dimensions.
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;120265I think you are moving into a class by your self.
I do want to know, which makes the best reamer, air, water or oil tempered drill rod?
I mostly pore boy it by using grade 8 bolts as stock.
You forgot the actual professional , other than PH, BH.

BTW I am an actual professional... :(
Engineering (Electrical and mechanical) is my job, things that go bang are my hobby.

Anyroad up,

Been using 'silver steel' (water hardening tool steel) here.
C 1%, Si 0.03%, Cr 0.40%, Mn 0.35%

Heat to 770-780ºC quench in water.
Temper @
120ºC - 65/63 HRc
150ºC - 64/62 HRc
200ºC - 62/61 HRc
250ºC - 59/58 HRc
300ºC - 56/63 HRc
350ºC - 54/53 HRc
400ºC - 50/58 HRc

Tool steel colour chart;

Hope this helps!
Turvey Stalking

Brithunter

Ahhh Gitano .................................... I am in kindergarten compared to the others you mentioned. No offence taken :daisy:

Our workshop is out of commission due to the floor breaking up and subsiding quite badly. We need to move all the machines left out and tear up the floor to lay a new one. One that is steel reinforced I should think. Some of our old machines weigh a ton or more  like the old 18" Shaper and the Victoria U2 mill plus the Holbrooke lathe..
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

Joe, the "professional " referred to a greasy handed machinist, not a pocket protector slip stick artist!!!

;)
I am an ex- professional inside wireman, general contractor, electrical inspector and racing motorcycle engine builder.
All are ex as I have been retired 10 years now, machining is one of my hobbies, started with a machine shop class in 1956 and I bought my first lathe in 1958,a 6"x 18" Atlas.
All the paying jobs were just to finance the fishing, hunting, camping, motorcycles , lapidary and machining hobbies.
Talk about overloading on hobbies!

gitano

I FINALLY got a "D" reamer to harden properly. I THINK my previous failures were due to using the wrong steel, even though the second time I was using 4140, which I thought should harden well. I was wrong. I have some confirmed O-1 "tool" steel in hand, and it 'behaved' as it was supposed to.

I'm fixin' to make 8x51 (8mm-08) and 7.92x33 Kurz "D" reamers for another couple of irons I have in the fire. Actually, I may have to make two of the 8x51s - one for cutting a chamber, and one for cutting a resizing die. Although, I may just buy a used .308 Win resizing die and ream the neck out as necessary for a resizer. I have done that before (.375x284 Win) and it works well. Fortunately, I found some Hornady dies for the Kurz cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;120284Joe, the "professional " referred to a greasy handed machinist, not a pocket protector slip stick artist!!!

;)
I am an ex- professional inside wireman, general contractor, electrical inspector and racing motorcycle engine builder.
All are ex as I have been retired 10 years now, machining is one of my hobbies, started with a machine shop class in 1956 and I bought my first lathe in 1958,a 6"x 18" Atlas.
All the paying jobs were just to finance the fishing, hunting, camping, motorcycles , lapidary and machining hobbies.
Talk about overloading on hobbies!

I took the English meaning...
pro·fes·sion·al

adjective

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

Its' my day job!!!
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

As I said, to finance hobbies.

;)

Paul, the stripped Lee die set likely would cost less than buying a used regular set.

gitano

Mebbe so, but I'd try to get just a resizing die first. I can't find any of the Lee RGB die sets for less than about $25 PLUS S&H. I MIGHT be able to find a resizing die only for less than that.

Paul

here's one I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-RGB-2-Die-308-Winchester-7-62-x-51mm-Nato-90879-/110718814476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c75b090c#ht_1059wt_911
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: