Barrels

Started by Rohann, January 22, 2005, 03:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rohann

Hey all, I'm not sure who would be able to answer this, but if you can please do:
I'm looking for some barrel specs for a few different rifles. If you know them please complete the list: Rate of twist, barrel length, and barrel diameter:

-Savage 10FP: ROT-1 in 10", BL-24", BD-.835" (is this correct?)
-Canadian forces C3A1
-Remington PSS
-M24
-Tikka T3 Tactical
-Sig SSG-3000

Thanks,
-Rohann

rockinbbar

Are you talking .308 caliber? Different cals have different twists...
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Rohann

Oh I'm sorry, yes, all in .308 Winchester.

-Rohann

Rohann

HondoJohn: Do you think you would be able to help me out?

Thanks,
-Rohann

rockinbbar

Rohann,

I know the Remington based rifles have the same 1-10" as the Savage, & am reasonably certain that they have the same length barrel as a standard. Everyone pretty much uses the same ammo for those rifles. As to the other rifles & barrel thickness, I don't have a clue...

You might note that some tactical rifles are re-fitted with other custom barrels, such as fluted Douglas, etc., so they might vary, even on the weapons that are standard.

A tactical sniper does to his rifle what a dragracer does to his car, he modifies it, plays around with different things that makes the rifle more well suited to him. Some of those guys consider thier rifles the way a one legged man considers his artificial leg....it was made for him only, so the are lots of variables.

Rockinbbar

Rohann

Well said and a good point, but I mean the standard barrels that the rifles initially come with. I figured HondoJohn could give me a hand as he is a gun smith.

I am trying to set up a custom rifle while avoiding the purchase of a new barrel; one of the reasons I chose a Savage. Any comments on this?

Thanks,
-Rohann

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: RohannHondoJohn: Do you think you would be able to help me out?

Thanks,
-Rohann
In reference to the Savage 10FP, the numbers you posted sound correct.  My personal 10FP is chambered for the .260 Remington.  Savage only offered this caliber for a short time and then dropped it for some reason.  I have never taken the time to measure the diameter of the barrel but I will make a note to myself to measure when I get to the shop tomorrow.  As to the other rifles you noted I have not even seen one much less have any measurements.  I can only suggest that you try to obtain that info from each manufacturer thru their website or address if necessary to send a letter via snail-mail.  Sorry I couldn't provide any info there.

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

rockinbbar

Rohann,

I'd get the Savage the way it comes from the factory, shoot it a lot... Get comfortable with it, & then start customising as you learn more about the type shooting you want to do.

You will need special instruction on the "why's & what-fors" of that type shooting. The reason I say this, is that any modifacation you make to the standard rifle might be deemed as a waste of money, or worse, a mistake resulting in the loss of accuracy, or permanant damge to your rifle.

In my opinion, you need to master the first level before you tackle that stuff that might not make a difference at all in how well you shoot with the rifle.

Learn as you go, seek the sound advice of someone that really knows what they are doing. I don't think you'll regret that at all, & I KNOW you won't be bored....:D

Rockinbbar

Rohann

John: Thanks! It's fine, I don't think the barrels will get much thicker than Savage's anyways.

Rockinbbar: I plan to get the Savage 10FP, add a sling, bipod, and possibly order it in with a Sig SSG stock, but other than that I don't plan to make any modifications for the time being. I am trying to avoid the purchase of a custom barrel, which is one of the reasons I am buying a Savage. In terms of building a tactical/target rifle, do you think a barrel replacement will be necessary? Would it be recommended (or a good idea at least?)?

Thanks,
-Rohann

rockinbbar

I don't think it will be needed til you shoot out the barrel on the rifle...;)

Rockin'

Rohann

Hehe ok, but in terms of "accurate barrels", how far up is the 10FP barrel?

-Rohann

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: RohannHehe ok, but in terms of "accurate barrels", how far up is the 10FP barrel?

-Rohann
For a beginning shooter it will be just fine accuracy wise. Of course I presume you will be reloading your ammo and using the Sierra 155 grain "Palma" bullet. Of more importance on the accuracy of the Savage barrel, it will be $400-600 **LESS** than a custom matchgrade barrel.....Use the money you save on ammo for practice. When you obtain the required skills thru practice, practice, practice.........your barrel will probably be shot out and you will be in your early 20's, making the BIG BUCKS $$$, then you can send the gun to me and I will chamber/install an Obermeyer Match Grade Stainless barrel, charge you an exorbitant rate and by then I will be old & shakey and with the money I make off the job...retire...!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan to me!!  Such a deal!!!!!

Ol' John...:D :D ;) :cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Rohann

Haha thanks John! Sounds like a good plan to me!

-Rohann

Tags: