Well I never !! some of you may recall this

Started by Brithunter, July 12, 2013, 05:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Now this is dragging up a very old story on THL which some of the longer term members may recall.

Several years back I acquired this old Wade & BUtcher of Sheffield made knife:-

As you can see it's the "Boone" model obviously aimed at the US market. The sheath is a bit worse for wear so i engaged a leather worker to amke a new one at one of our Bisley shows. He drew an outline of theblade which he said was enough for him to make the sheath and declined to take the knife as well.

Well the sheath that arrived in the post did not fit and after a phone discussion the knife and new sheath were posted off to Scotland to be rectified and that was the last seen of it until this morning.

This all came about due to a post on The Stalking Directory which i read and low and behold it was about this Mr Moore. One of the replies had a link to his web site which i clicked then after reading some sent him an e-mail enquiring about my knife as by now I was sure it was the same Mr Moore. I got a quite prompt reply and he had posted the knife via special delivery and it arrived this morning. he had kept it still in the box I sent it to him it seems but had moved several times over the years.

The "new" sheath still does not fit so i will look or a leather worker more locally whom will make one for me. As the knife is carbon steel it was abit dull so I gave it polish up and general clean.

I honestly thought it was gone for good an this was a very welcome surprise. About time our luck took a turn for the better methinks and perhaps ..................................................... just perhaps this is the start of it.

Oh yes those photos are old ones from when I first acquired the kinfe.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jamie.270

QuoteI honestly thought it was gone for  good an this was a very welcome surprise. About time our luck took a  turn for the better methinks and perhaps  ..................................................  ... just perhaps  this is the start of it.
That IS great news BH!

Just a question tho,...
Why aren't these leatherworkers/sheath makers using the old sheath for the pattern?
That would seem simplest to me.
And yes, I have worked leather a time or two.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

I like that knife: Relatively short, rounded blade, made of carbon steel.

It is always good news when one "finds" something that was 'lost'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Great news BH. If Ida known, You coulda traced the blade/hilt out and told me the thickness of the blade and I could have made one and sent it to you.

What part doesn't fit? You might be able to stretch it using a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water, spritzing the area where it's "tight" . . . . .?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Brithunter

I also wondered this:-

QuoteWhy aren't these leatherworkers/sheath makers using the old sheath for the pattern?

It was offered at the time so it could be copied.

Anyway today brought a new twist as a second package arrived from this leather worker and inside was a closer copy of the original sheath even using the same thickness of leather which to be honest is fairly light in gauge. The newly arrived copy DOES FIT!!!! in fact the knife is in it now. Inside along with the sheath was a business card and written on the back is:-

QuoteThought you be able to give this a good home ..ATB Jonathan

I am wondering if this was the fix fro the original problem?

Ahh Paul just out of interest I just measured the blade and it's 4 3/4" in length from handle guard to tip. Across the "belly" it's 1 1/4" and it's 3/16" thick. I like the slightly dropped belly and in fact the only "improvement" I can think of is to lose the clip point for a dropped point.

I also prefer it's tapered grind the blade tapers to the cutting edge without the second angle which is more common[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: