"Word Play" Transferred from "Making Stuff"

Started by gitano, September 22, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Moved the conversation from http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=17075&page=4 to here, as we had clearly high-jacked J0e_bl0ggs' thread.

"Unthaw" was the last entry.

One word that "bugs" me that IS a legitimate word, (who decided that I wonder), is "denood", (censor won't allow the proper spelling),  MEANING to REMOVE THE COVERING!!! REALLY! Seems to me if I DE nood something, I am UN nuding it, or COVERING IT.

Here's another  - "Devoid" - exactly the same complaint about this one as I have about "denood". I strongly suspect that these "legitimate" words got their starts in MISUSED words that became so widely used that the lexicographers just gave in.

Here are another couple of words coined through MISUSE by ignorant, past-their-prime, athletes that get paid to talk on TV:

1) "Timeout", as in "There are three timeouts left in the game." THAT'S WRONG! It's "timeS out". Of course this is spitting into the wind at this point.
2) "Athleticism" - I can't hardly stand to hear one of these numbskulls use that term without changing channels. The correct term is "athletic ability". "ism" is a PHILOSOPHY, not an "ability".

And finally, I can't part this topic without mentioning my two favorite misused terms of the shooting community: "caliber" and "accuracy". I have given up. I correct the misuse of these terms only when there is a good chance that confusion will ensue if not clarified.

Cranky ol' Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I try to make sure to be correct about "caliber" and " cartridge", very much different things, but some how the full nuances of the difference between accuracy and precision escapes me.
Of course, accuracy is correctness, but precision can be both precise and accurate, as in an accurate measurement, to some degree.
Oh, well, just getting dense in my old age.
I fully agree on de, ing things, sorta like "dressing" an animal, I really think it should be UNdressing it.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LvrLover

"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

drinksgin (deceased)

That nonsense has been debated since I was a teenager, so far as I know, it has never been settled.
Just common nonsense.

Jamie.270

I thought we were making stuff. I was doing my best to make puns.  (groan)  
As well as making up new geographical descriptors!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

drinksgin (deceased)

As I have learned, being a known punster is often unappreciated.
Bunch of ol' stickinthemuds!
I agree, making puns SHOULD be classified as "Making Stuff"

:angel::nana:

gitano

A point well taken! I should have started the thread in the "Making Stuff" sub-forum. I just wanted to get the conversation out of a thread about muzzle brakes.

I'm not inclined to beat this horse, (I refuse to call it "dead"), but I got some excellent examples of the difference between "precision" and "accuracy" at my last range session. (See here for pictures http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=17103.) A couple of the bullets produced very precise (small) groups, but were a LONG way from "accurate" because those small groups were not particularly close to the point of aim. As you point out, something that launches projectiles at a target can be both precise AND accurate, but precision is not dependent on accuracy, while "accuracy" is in general dependent on precision. (It depends on how one defines accuracy, BEFORE the shooting starts.)

In order to NOT highjack THIS thread, I am going to "stick" a thread explaining both the relationship between "precision" and accuracy", AND "caliber" and "chambering".

"Flammable" and "inflammable" - yeah...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Yeah, poor j0e's thread got highjacked into the weeds, and I understand that.

When I saw this thread, I really thought you were going to move our unrelated posts over here.

I was just having fun with the "making stuff" reference to my puns etc.
I agree with the accuracy vs. precision thread Paul.

It's a nomenclature issue that eludes some people, via misunderstanding of what constitutes as well as, differentiates the two.

An imprecise gun/bullet/cartridge combo will always have difficulty achieving a high degree of accuracy.
OTOH;
The accurate gun/bullet/cartridge combo has already demonstrated a certain degree of precision.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: