Hunting in Alaska...

Started by gitano, February 21, 2014, 08:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Dear Paul Skvorc,
 You are receiving this email because you applied for a big game drawing hunt, or for a Tier I or Tier II permit during the November-December 2013 application period. Your results are displayed below. Links to the results will also be posted on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website by noon on February 21, at hunt.alaska.gov (the hunting section) as well as on the homepage at adfg.alaska.gov.
 Most successful applicants will receive their hard-copy permits in the mail in early July. A few exceptions exist and if you were drawn for one of those hunts, ADF&G will contact you with additional information. Successful drawing-hunt applicants who do not receive permits by the end of July should contact the nearest Fish and Game office to request a duplicate copy of their permit.
 Browse the ADF&G webpages for a wealth of information that you can use to prepare for your next hunt. For interesting information sent monthly directly to your email inbox, subscribe to Alaska Fish & Wildlife News. Since this month is when thousands of hunters will be thinking about upcoming trips with the release of the draw hunt results, the February issue looks at draw hunts, provides statistics on who hunts in Alaska, and includes a compelling story about a remote moose hunt (wildlifenews.alaska.gov).
 Regardless of the lottery outcome, we wish you success in any hunt you may pursue. We hope you have wonderful adventures in Alaska and that you share your love of the outdoors with others. Take a friend, relative, or young person with you. Hunters are the original conservationists! Pass it on!
 Best Regards,
 Doug Vincent-Lang
Acting Director, Division of Wildlife Conservation

Draw Hunt Application Results

Hunt

Were You
Selected?

DC483

No

DC851

No

DI403

No

DM406

No

DM407

No

DM410

No

DM413

No

DM540

No

DM666

No

Dear Caitlin Skvorc,
 You are receiving this email because you applied for a big game drawing hunt, or for a Tier I or Tier II permit during the November-December 2013 application period. Your results are displayed below. Links to the results will also be posted on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website by noon on February 21, at [URL="http://hunt.alaska.gov/]hunt.alaska.gov[/URL] (the hunting section) as well as on the homepage at adfg.alaska.gov.
 Most successful applicants will receive their hard-copy permits in the mail in early July. A few exceptions exist and if you were drawn for one of those hunts, ADF&G will contact you with additional information. Successful drawing-hunt applicants who do not receive permits by the end of July should contact the nearest Fish and Game office to request a duplicate copy of their permit.
 Browse the ADF&G webpages for a wealth of information that you can use to prepare for your next hunt. For interesting information sent monthly directly to your email inbox, subscribe to Alaska Fish & Wildlife News. Since this month is when thousands of hunters will be thinking about upcoming trips with the release of the draw hunt results, the February issue looks at draw hunts, provides statistics on who hunts in Alaska, and includes a compelling story about a remote moose hunt (wildlifenews.alaska.gov).
 Regardless of the lottery outcome, we wish you success in any hunt you may pursue. We hope you have wonderful adventures in Alaska and that you share your love of the outdoors with others. Take a friend, relative, or young person with you. Hunters are the original conservationists! Pass it on!
 Best Regards,
 Doug Vincent-Lang

Hunt

Were You
Selected?

DC483

No

DC851

No

DI403

No

DM402

No

DM406

No

DM407

No

DM413

No

DM540

Yes

DM666

No

And my mother-in-law for whom I can (could have) proxy hunted:

Dear Jean,
 You are receiving this email because you applied for a big game drawing hunt, or for a Tier I or Tier II permit during the November-December 2013 application period. Your results are displayed below. Links to the results will also be posted on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website by noon on February 21, at hunt.alaska.gov (the hunting section) as well as on the homepage at adfg.alaska.gov.
 Best Regards,
 Doug Vincent-Lang

Hunt

Were You
Selected?

DC483

No

DC851

No

DI403

No

DM402

No

DM406

No

DM407

No

DM413

No

DM540

No

DM666

No

27 applications - One draw.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Is that good or bad? just getting drawn here is "good"! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

That's "bad". Put in for 27 different hunts, got drawn for one. Add Grant and his son, Ethan, and the total applied for goes up to 45 with no additional "wins".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Is the location a decent place or just a piece of fluff?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

It's Game Management Unit 16B which is a pretty good place to hunt. Access is purely boat or plane, no roads. Not sure how we'll hunt it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

You need to use your MIL's maiden name on her application. Once a Skvorc was drawn you were doomed. I really think these drawings are rigged. One in 45 seems highly unlikely. What would the odds be for someone out of state like me(who was wealthy instead of poor)? Zero? Are their no animals left in AK? What are you going to hunt? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

drinksgin (deceased)

Didn't you say once that each resident got a certain number of caribou as a food allowance each year?
Or does this only apply to the original settlers.

gitano

Quote from: sakorick;131140You need to use your MIL's maiden name on her application. (She didn't get drawn for anything either.) Once a Skvorc was drawn you were doomed. I really think these drawings are rigged. One in 45 seems highly unlikely. (Yeah.) What would the odds be for someone out of state like me(who was wealthy instead of poor)? Zero? (Depends. If guided, about 100%. If unguided, about zero.) Are their no animals left in AK? (There never were a lot, except caribou. The arctic is very unproductive ground. It takes about 20 acres to support one moose, and that's the bare minimum. One can take 10 caribou a day from the Western Arctic herd - extremely remote - but the Nelchina herd - road access for "Southcentral" including all those from Los Anchorage - is drawing only.) What are you going to hunt? (I can still hunt all species, I just have to work harder. Same as for all the other states that have drawing hunts and public land hunts. I will be planning a Western Arctic caribou hunt, and will probably focus in getting Caitlin a moose from her drawing hunt.) Regards, Rick.

I've hunted a lot of the US, and I have and continue to say that Alaska is among the bottom five states for hunting opportunity. People don't want to believe that, but it is absolutely the truth. I have been applying for a buffalo permit for over 30 years and have never been drawn.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Quote from: drinksgin;131147Didn't you say once that each resident got a certain number of caribou as a food allowance each year?
Or does this only apply to the original settlers.

Only fish, not caribou. There is something called a "Tier II" hunt which is resident only, and akin to the salmon 'allocation', but it's a fiasco. Ticks me off to even talk about, so I won't any more than I already have.

If I can arrange transportation OUT of GMU 26 where the Western Arctic caribou herd is, I will be heading there this year for caribou and whatever else - wolf, wolverine, fox, grizzly, etc. - that I can find.

OUT is always WAY more expensive than IN because you have game to get out, and the fascists are, well, FASCIST, about "wanton waste", which has meant as little as FOUR OUNCES of "meat" left on a carcass.

Air time in a "tundra capable" Cessna 185 is $225 per hour, and those "hours" include ALL the time from when the plane leaves the ground to fly out until it returns and completes unloading. And keep in mind you have to pay going IN AND coming OUT. Most flights to remote areas are AT LEAST an hour, some, several hours. If you have more than one caribou it means more than one plane trip. It gets VERY expensive VERY FAST. While I like caribou meat, it isn't worth hundreds of dollars PER POUND. This is precisely why the bag limit in GMU 26 is 10 PER DAY.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Egads, sounds even worse than a high fence rip off operation in Texas.
I saw one advertised at $500 per day and trophy fees that would rapidly amount to $2000 or more, all this for a flea bitten 150lb whitetail, THEN they expect a "nice " tip" for the guide who drove you to the stand, and then picked you up.
Really getting to the point there is no point to going hunting, just go to the exotic auction, bid on something, load it up, take it home, whack it, and then start thinking up some good sounding lies to impress your buddies.

:toilet: :sarc:

drinksgin (deceased)

And I doubt your MIL's last name is Skvorc, but do you suppose they have a secret list of your family members?
Even people who are paranoid have enemies!

:eek:

gitano

I often repeat: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

Considering my history with the ADF&G, I have to work at avoiding thoughts of 'conspiracy', but, too many of my acquaintances are in the same "no draw" boat. I attribute it to "some days chickens, some days feathers". Been a lot of feathers in the last 10 years.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

If you really want to wack a bison, you could try the SD , state run operation, nor really free range, but not shooting in a corral, either.
Of course, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy an angus steer and  process it.
It appears if I ever want a fresh pig belly to experiment on, I am just going to have to buy a pig and butcher it.
I tried to find fresh pork bellies, cheapest was over $ 12 a pound, a 5 lb belly would cost as much as a 70-80 lb live pig  AND I would have the rest of it, too.
Oh, me!

:stars:

22hornet

Is there any right of appeal? Or this this a "closed shop"?
 I would be pretty dirty if this happened to me.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

There are no 'appeals' I assure you.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: