Let Me Know What You Think of This...

Started by gitano, February 23, 2015, 10:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

J0e_bl0ggs has been harassing me about 1) buying old "fence-posts", and 2) getting a .22 Hornet. The Hornet harassment started when I was trying to think a good thing to turn the Schuetzen into. So, never having owned a Hornet, I went looking for one just to see what I might be getting into.

YIKES! 19th century Winchesters and Stevens are cost SERIOUS money. Also, Hornet brass and ammo are - in my opinion - ridiculously priced. Brass at more than $1 a piece. Gimme a break!

Anyway, I was wandering around GunBroker when I saw this. Whaduyathink?

It's an Anschutz Model 54 action with Model 1432 'accouterments' - skip-line checkering, roll-over monte-carlo cheek-piece, white-line, etc.

The other ones on GB are going for $1100, $1800, and $1700, and none are a nice as this one. The seller has listed it for 72 days, and it's been on the 'auction block' for 19 days. He wants $1349 for it. What do you think?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Paul,

That is a very nice rifle. Great looking wood, the single trigger is excellent (no experience with the DSL models), beautiful slim graceful stock, and I would be very surprised if it wasn't insanely accurate.

You have already handled and shot a very similar rifle - my .222 when you visited a few years ago.

Prices for second hand mod54 Anschutz 22h and .222s usually top out at $AUS800 -1200, with the occasional one priced higher.

The receiver dovetails are quite narrow and rings will likely need some sort of recoil stop to stop them moving if bumped. The receiver is also drilled and tapped for mounts (I have weaver bases and rings on mine).

Marcus

branxhunter

An alternative??

http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=51700

I love everything about this except the long eye relief scope

Marcus

22hornet

An Annie Hornet? :sweetheart:

That has really nice timber too. If you did get a Hornet what would you use it for? Hunting, shooting, collectors rifle?

$1 a piece for brass? As they say: "Tell him he's dreaming". My last lot of Winchester .22Hornet brass was $42/100 and I thought that was pricey! :eek:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Quote from: branxhunter;137637An alternative??

http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=51700

I love everything about this except the long eye relief scope

Marcus

I'm liking the long eye relief scope on a martini more and more now. The last martini I shot was a real pain to load and remove the spend brass with the scope mounted so low. A long eye relief scope would easily solve that problem.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

The DST adds hundreds of dollars to that outstanding rifle. You did very well, Paul. A fantastic find for a fantastic price!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

That is one beautiful Martini, Marcus! I kinda like LER 'scopes, but that is primarily on rifles chambered with cartridges that have greater recoil. I'm not too worried about the .22 Hornet's recoil.:baby:

I think I actually hit something with your rifle too, Marcus! That was sure a very special day.

You let the cat out of the bag, Rick. I was being coy, implying that I hadn't yet actually bought the rifle. But, now that I'm "outted", I will reveal the price. $1400 delivered to my door. I was quite smitten with the rifle when I first laid eyes on it. I am sure I have never paid that much for a rifle before. Only drillings. But... The fact that it's 1) an "old" 54 action with model 1430-34 accouterments, the really nice wood, in the chambering I was looking for, and at a price I think is at least $400 lower than similar rifles are going for, I simply couldn't pass it up. I have some 'splainin' to do to my wife.:eek::help:

God willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll get my hands on it at the end of next week.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

A 54 ain't never a mistake, I'm green with jealousy...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

branxhunter

Great stuff Paul. That is my preferred stock shape on the Annie CF rifles.

I have a pdf copy of the manual for these rifles - I can send you a copy. It doesn't hold a lot of information but it is nice to have.

Depending on who you listen to there are a number of tricks that can lead to greater precision in hornet loads - use of a crimp die on loaded rounds, pistol primers, even necking cases up to 6mm and then down again to put a small "shoulder" on the neck. Lil gun sounds like the powder of choice in the US but very difficult/impossible to find here.

Short stubby .224 projectiles will also likely be what shoots best. If you can find some 40gn HPs as loaded in the old Winchester WMR rounds they are a good cheap alternative that can be surprisingly accurate out to 150yards.

Marcus

gitano

Great stuff, Marcus. I appreciate that!

Send the pdf right along, please.

I have heard that L'il Gun is "the" powder for the Hornet. I have some, so I'll probably start with that. I also noticed a lot of crimp dies for the Hornet. Now I see why. I was planning on 35-grainers I think. I have lots of .22 caliber bullets, so we'll see what I have in hand, but I think I have a few hundred that are less than 50.

I should be able to shoot this "in my back yard" without exciting the neighbors, so when I get it in hand, AND get some ammo, I'll post a 'range report'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

davidlt89

I think it is a nice looking rifle!!! maybe a stupid question but why does it have a double trigger? The 22 hornet is an interesting caliber indeed!! i have a friend that has one and it is fun to shoot. A well placed shot will surely take a coyote down!!! Great fox gun!!! Congrats on your purchase!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Quote from: davidlt89;137676I think it is a nice looking rifle!!! maybe a stupid question but why does it have a double trigger?

Oh you youngsters! David, it's not a "double" trigger it's a double "set" trigger. This gives the rifle another life.....one for competition and one for hunting. The set is the rear trigger and when engaged changes the front trigger to say 2 pounds(it's adjustable) for target competition. The rear trigger has nothing to go with letting the sear unleash the firing pin......it is used to change the pull weight of the front trigger. In a hunting situation you simply ignore the rear trigger and use the front like any other rifle. Keep in mind both triggers are adjustable and there are endless combinations to monkey with. The Germans perfected this system years ago. It never gained popularity in the Western hemisphere because of cost. The triggers on Paul's new Hornet are the absolute ultimate in classic perfection.  
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Quote from: 22hornetIf you did get a Hornet what would you use it for? Hunting, shooting, collectors rifle?

"Yes"... ;)

I wasn't really looking for a rifle, I was looking for .22 Hornet and .25-20 brass for the Schuetzen remake. Talk about crazy prices! Woo-eee! As YOU well know, this is about the the smallest .22 center-fire cartridge one can find. It will allow me to shoot in my "back yard" and not annoy the neighbors. It's also 'good' for wascally wabbits, br'er fox, Wyle E. Coyote, the Big Bad Wolf, AND sitting grouse and ptarmigan. And that is what I intend for it. I don't shoot competitively, and so I won't with this. It should already be worth more than I paid for it by maybe as much as 25%, so it is "collectible".

With your nom-de-plume, do you have any suggestions/recommendations?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: